Potential switcher here needing your advice.........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Next Tuesday, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I want to switch to a mac from a pc. I would like everyone to give me the PROS and CONS of their macbooks/macbookpros. What do you like about them/dislike about them? What parts do you think windows machines are better at than macs? Be truthful, it wont hurt your macstatus to throw some honest cons in. Thanks everyone!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple notebooks aren't perfect. Some are, some aren't. Sometimes just like with anything you can get a bad one, or problems need to be resolved when a new machine (rev a.) comes out. All that said, Apples tend to be better machines, better built, better looking, better working, better longevity than their Dell and other PC counterparts.

Second, you must realize their is a difference between Windows and OS X. Fundamentally they are both operating systems and generally allow you to do the same things. OS X is known for its interface, Unix foundation for stability, as well as ease of true plug and play, and of course it's bundled iLife and other OS related software suite. These are the best reasons in many peoples opinion to use a Mac. If you just plan to use Boot Camp to run Windows, that is your choice, but really why get a Mac.

If you want the fun, ease of use, efficiency of OS X, how well the OS and hardware work together, then you have to figure out your budget and computing needs in order to select the line and configuration of notebook that best suits you.

3. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Because of the better built, better looking and better longevity bits! Three out of four ain't bad.

4. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I guess nobody is going to post the pros and cons. :(

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

pros;
    -fricken fast for a baseline notebook. a year ago, if someone had told me an iBook (equivalent) would have a dual core chip in it, i would have told them to wake up.
    -very clean design. i don't realise just how good the design is until i use a peecee notebook. its all rounded edges, great keyboard, no bumps all over the casing... brilliant design
    -highly specced. along with CPU, this machine has wifi, bluetooth, gigabit ethernet, audio in, iSight cam... perfect machine for my needs (recording music, studies, etc)
    -very portable. because of the wireless, i can have it pretty much anywhere in my house and i get good internet reception, and the battery life allows me a long time between charges.

cons;
    -RSS - FIXED by Apple
    -Staining case - FIXED by Apple
    -some apps are slower than on PPC macs, but damn fast considering the OS is emulating the chip into PPC. future releases of software will fix this.
    -is hotter than older PPC macs, like my 667MHz TiBook; but then again it has 6 times the clock speed so i can't really complain.
    -doesn't make me coffees :p

overall, i love this machine. brilliant engineering by the respective companies who built it, amazingly fast for the low price tag. Get one :D

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Not to be a jerk but if you search you will find more threads about this subject than you will have time to read. :)

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can't sum it up that way. A lot depends on what you plan too DO
    with the new computer OK I can try

Pros of buying a Mac..
    1) The Mac OS and software is easy to use without being "dummed down."
    My 8 year old can use the system without instruction but people who've
    spent years studdying computer science are impressed by the design
    of Mac OSX.

2) If you create digital content (photos, video, sound, music, web pages or anything else) then you will like the Mac

3) Macs have good resale value. PC get chucked in landfills

Cons
    1) Macs are not the best platforms for playing video games
    2) If you only need to run MS Office, just by a cheap PC. The Mac will run office but not at the same bang per buck ratio.
    3) Apple completely ignore the low-end low-specs end of the market. So if you are loking for a cheap box with an Intel Celeron inside you will now find one in an Apple store.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Hey, it's the weekend. People are out doing stuff. If I hadn't injured my knee I'd not have seen you message 'till Monday. I think more people are here during the weekdays. At least wait 24 hours before deciding that "nobody" will reply.

One more thing: If you want help deciding which computer you want. You will get more meaningfull help if you supply more information. What will you do with the computer. Do you shoot underwater video on location? or do you compose or perform music? Many a student heading off to a university?

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Here is a website called X vs XP that basically gives you comparisons of OS X and XP. It deals with software rather than hardware, but it can still give you an insight in comparing both OS's. :)

10. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

XP over past years has become extremely stable, so dont buy into the "it wont freeze every minute argurment"

Pros: Look
    OS X very easy to use
    Bundled softare (only if you need it)
    quality of apple branded parts fairly decent
    Battery Life of notebooks is very long.
    Neat little fancy things like being able to ask it to tell you a joke.

Cons: Too Expensive for their laptops, the iMac is worth it because of the built in monitor
    Some Software is only released for windows and if you dont want to buy a copy windows to run on boot camp you are out of luck
    Case on My macbook feels cheap compared to some other brands such as sony, but still is decent

11. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Thanks tech, that site is nice.