Potential Switcher - PC to Mac App equivalents?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by losfp, Sep 3, 2002.

1. losfp macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Hey there - I'm a potential "switcher" doing a ton of research before spending a lot of money. Actually "switch" is probably too harsh a word. More like "adding to harem of technology toys" :D

Anyways, what I was hoping to get was some suggestions for apps that might be equivalent to what I'm now using on my PC. Freeware and shareware is good, but all suggestions would be appreciated...

MS Office - This is pretty simple. Office X, yeah?

HTML Editor - I'm using HomeSite now, are there any good html editors for mac?

Photoshop - Again, simple.

FTP Client - Any good multi-threaded FTP clients for mac?

File renaming utility?

ID3 tag editor? Will itunes do the job, esp re: batch editing of mp3s?

image browser - I'm using ACDSee on my PC, are there any good mac programs that do about the same thing - iphoto?

thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Re: Potential Switcher - PC to Mac App equivalents?

Office: Office X, Think Free Office, AppleWorks

HTML Editor: BBEdit, vi, pico, emacs, etc.

PhotoShop: PhotoShop, the GIMP

FTP: Fetch, ftp, BBEdit built in FTP, etc.

File Renaming: A Better Finder Rename, command line tools, etc.

ID3: MP3 Rage, iTunes

Image Browser: iPhoto, etc.

Basically, if you prefer simple, you have all the GUI tools you need to do all the above tasks. If you prefer command line, you can write simple shell scripts to do most tasks (renaming, etc.) The UNIX comman lin is also heaven for FTP and protocol related tasks.
  3. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Nipsy did a real good job answering your question. But to add a little pro-Mac propaganda....

I haven't bought a piece of Mac software except for operating systems and VirtualPC. And this is for a very simple but overlooked reason. Many people will tell you that the iApps are good. But what they leave out is the fact that you can do damn near everything on a Mac with those iApps and other various shareware and freeware titles.

Most consumer Macs come with a lot of free software (Appleworks, iApps, etc...). And you can download a ton of free or really cheap software, of which a lot is very well designed and useful.

I'm not familiar with the shareware/freeware scene on PCs, but if the iApps and MS's pathetic offerings are any indicator, the Mac has the PC beat hands down.

4. losfp thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    thanks for the responses guys. I guess I like to think I'm pretty adept at finding shareware/freeware apps for any specific tasks I need to perform, and I'm sure the iApps will suffice nicely for most cases. In any case, I will be keeping PCs around, so I should be able to cover anything I need.

Here's hoping a new PowerBook surfaces soon. :D
  5. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    Just a tip, in case you didn't know: VersionTracker.com is by far the best place to pick up free/shareware. :D
  6. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    I second those choices...

Good reply, Nipsy.

Let me chime in with:

Hands down - BBEdit or BBEdit Lite for HTML & Programming
    Fetch - Still an excellent shareware program and actively supported

- Download the free and excellent Windows Terminal Client from Microsoft to access your PC virtually when needed.

- If you've got .Mac, keep a mount of your iDisk on both your PC desktop for no-brainer file sharing and remote file access
  7. sphereboy macrumors 6502

May 10, 2002
    DO THE SWITCH! The hardest part is finding a nice place to put your new Mac.