Potentially dangerous?!...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bengt77, May 19, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Jun 7, 2002
    Read this article on C|Net, titled 'Microsoft to license Unix code'. It says something that could be very dangerous to us Mac users:

"Some analysts said the move was an attempt by SCO to be acquired by another company--possibly Microsoft, [...]"

SCO is the company who holds all the UNIX trademarks. Hmmm, doesn't sound good, does it?!

Any thoughts?!...

2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Actually the Open Group own the Unix Trademark (the history of which is long and very complicated). SCO do own a proprietary version of Unix and are currently claiming that IBM put some of this code (which they had access to) into the Linux kernel. Fortunatly Apple uses a Mach kernel with a BSD subsystem, neither of which are effected by this.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The land of delusions, CA.
    What annoys me is if M$ decides to copy OSX.

It would be just like M$ to copy Apple's use of an *NIX OS for their new O.S. to compete with Apple's innovation and to compete with Linux.

Everytime I think of M$ copying Apple, it steams me that they're so parasitic of Apple's creative problem-solving skills and vision. Huh. Well, I guess time will tell.