Potentially dangerous?!...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bengt77, May 19, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Read this article on C|Net, titled 'Microsoft to license Unix code'. It says something that could be very dangerous to us Mac users:

"Some analysts said the move was an attempt by SCO to be acquired by another company--possibly Microsoft, [...]"

SCO is the company who holds all the UNIX trademarks. Hmmm, doesn't sound good, does it?!

Any thoughts?!...

:rolleyes:

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Actually the Open Group own the Unix Trademark (the history of which is long and very complicated). SCO do own a proprietary version of Unix and are currently claiming that IBM put some of this code (which they had access to) into the Linux kernel. Fortunatly Apple uses a Mach kernel with a BSD subsystem, neither of which are effected by this.

3. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

What annoys me is if M$ decides to copy OSX.

It would be just like M$ to copy Apple's use of an *NIX OS for their new O.S. to compete with Apple's innovation and to compete with Linux.

Everytime I think of M$ copying Apple, it steams me that they're so parasitic of Apple's creative problem-solving skills and vision. Huh. Well, I guess time will tell.