Potentially dumb question re: UT2004 on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by micsaund, Aug 12, 2004.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I am a legitimate owner of UT2004 (SE version) on Winbloze (from before I got my first Mac). I noticed that the Linux version of UT2004 is on the DVD with the Win version, so I'm hoping that hidden somewhere is the Mac version? :confused:

I'm guessing it's not and they'd want me to buy a full standalone copy of the Mac version, but I'd love to hear from someone who knows for sure (especially since we have a LAN party coming-up this Saturday and I'd like to take the PB over the night before for testing -- easier than hauling the Win rig over twice).

Thanks,
    Mike

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Sorry, the windows version WILL NOT work with your powerbook. :(

You'll have to buy the mac version for that LAN...

3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The Win/Linux version is on CD's, whereas the Mac version is on a single DVD, so no, there's no way it's there.

4. bnemesis macrumors regular

The reason for this is that the windows and linux versions were coded by Atari (or whatever they call themselves these days). The Mac version of was licensed from them and coded by Macsoft.

5. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yeah, I figured I was "up a creek" (and also guess it was because the Mac version was developed by another company). Oh well - I was just hoping to be pleasantly surprised and not have to buy a second copy for part-time play on my PB :)

Mike

6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, there is also a DVD version made for the PC... but I believe the special edition he was referring to only came out on CD (if there is a DVD special edition out there, I'd like to know).

At least your CD key will work on both the mac and PC version.

I personally bought the mac version, but am building a PC to dedicate to playing games on. I'm probably going to borrow the PC version from a friend (and the PC version doesn't even have a CD/DVD check).

I'm doing the opposite of what most mac users are... I'm supporting the mac community while not supporting the PC community. :) ... and the mac version generally costs more too.

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Amen to that... especially the Rad9800 SE..... $350 *sigh*

8. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Erm, you can just download the Unreal 2K4 mac application and it should work. The fact about it coming on CDs is irrelevant.

The only problem would be finding the app file. Try using one of the latest mac patches on the PC folder.

I remember buying the mac version of UT2003 and copying the folder to my PC and installing the PC patch and it worked perfectly. The only problem is that the mac patcher looks for the Unreal Tournament 2004.app to install the files into.

So, yes, if you mess about you should be able to get it working without buying a new copy.

9. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

grabberslasher can i do this with baldur's gate 2? I have it for PC and would like to have on mac without buying another version. If not what other games can this be done with? Please list us source ...

10. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I have no idea about Baldur's gate. I know that it works for any Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Quake, Quake II, Quake III based games and any Unreal/UT2K3/UT2K4 based games.

Quake 3 - based games are Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight II, Jedi Academy, Alice in Wonderland, Elite Force 1 and 2, etc.

Unreal based games... I dunno, Harry Potter, America's Army.

Apart from that, the only other game I know can do this is SimCity4.

And yes, I have tried this for each of the above.

11. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

Using a PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz, GeForceFX 5200 64 MB, I noticed that my UT2k4 demo limits a number of my graphics options to "normal", precluding me from setting them to "high", "highest", or whatever the maximum is; they don't even appear on the drop down menus of some options. I know they exist because the PC version of the game has these options (which I enabled). Now, I'm wondering if these options were left out because this is the Mac version, because it's the demo version, or because my video card does not support them. Does anyone know what this might be?

Mike LaRiviere

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Probably a demo restriction... not that you'd want to run high on your powerbook anyways...

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I dunno, a G5 at CompUSA I was playing UT2k4 on today had a FX5200 on it, and I was playing will details on highest for all options and it ran like butter.

Why does everyone say this card sucks again?

14. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

see thats why i hate mac game companies...you see the PC version doesnt need to check for CD/DVD and yet theres more people on PC that pirate games than on mac...while the mac rarely ANYONE pirates anything, and you need to have a CD/DVD check every time you play a game YOU BOUGHT???? why hasnt anyone protested???? why are we all sitting there not doing anything????? we need to talk to the president about this...

15. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

Ninja, maybe you're being sarcastic, but what are you talking about? Almost every PC game I have requires the CD to play. Some of these, including UT2k4, won't let you play off a burned CD. No one pirates Mac games? You can find a large portions of the Mac games out there on suprnova.org available for download. The games that don't require the CD are generally older games. For instance, Civ2 doesn't require the CD, but Civ3 does. Any current game DOES, of course, require the CD to play... and on the Mac, you can save the disk image and open that up whenever you like.

Mike LaRiviere

16. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

lol yeah right, when I ran it on my 5200 my FPS still dipped QUITE often. It also depends on the map size you are playing as well... the more detailed maps can really show the weakness of the card... and sometimes the processors as well.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah, I can say with confidence, many of the same Mac games that require a CD requires a CD for their PC counterparts.