potluck dish - looking for ideas...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gallagb, Aug 24, 2006.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

so hey-
    i now have just recently moved to a place where i know lots of people
    and they are _always_ having potlucks
    EDIT: like there are 3 potlucks this upcoming weekend
    and i never have any clue what to bring

so- here's the question- what do i bring?
    i can cook, i'm a good cook...
    i'm just really really indecisive

the community is about 50% vege 50% meat eaters
    there are a wide variety of food alergies- but nothing too outragious and often enough dishes that 'work' so it's not something i should worry about

i guess i'm looking for a dish that is relatively 'easy' to make- say under 2 hrs of total prep+cook time -- but- i'm open to other ideas

my parents were never into potlucks - so... they don't have any great 'family traditions' to pass on to me...ditto w/ the extended family-

any help?

2. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Mmmm!

Well i would get a couple of McDonalds salads and add some more stuff into them so they dont look like theve come from McDonalds and yea :) lol i dont go to potlucks, not my thing lol :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Ground beef, macaroni, spaghetti sauce, mozarella - cook, mix together, bake at 350 for 20 minutes, done.

4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

If you want to do a dessert I say go with mini cheese-cakes. They taste great and they're really easy to make. If you want I could get you my recipe.

5. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Here are some of my faves....

Appetizer:
    Artichoke Spinach Dip:
    1/4 C butter
    1 (14 oz) can of Artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 (10 oz) pack of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    2 (8 oz) pkgs of cream cheese, softened
    2 (8 oz) containers of sour cream
    1 C grated parmesan cheese
    pinch of garlic salt to taste

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
    Stir spinach and artichoke hearts
    Cook until tender, about 5 min
    Mix cream cheese and sour cream into spinach mixture
    Stir in parmesan cheese and garlic salt
    Cook, stirring occassionally, until thick (about 10-15 min)

Main dish:
    Green chilli sour cream chicken enchiladas:
    12 small corn tortillas
    1/2 C. oil (or you can use PAM)
    2 C. Jack cheese, shreddd (I have also mixed Jack and Mozzarella)
    3/4 C. chopped onion
    1/4 C. margarine
    1/4 C. flour
    2 C. chicken broth
    1 C. sour cream
    4 oz. green chilli, chopped
    2 C. cut up chicken, cooked (or mostly cooked)

Skillet-fry tortillas in oil 2 to 3 seconds on each side. (I have also just sprayed each side with a little PAM and that works just as well.) Put cheese, onion, and chicken in the center of each. Roll up and put seam down in a 9x13 pan

Sauce:
    Melt butter and blend flour. Slowly add broth and cook until thick and boiling. Stir in sour cream and chillis (don't boil).

Pour over rolled enchiladas, lifting each one ot get sauce underneath. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Add additional cheese on top and back 5 mins more, if desired.

Dessert:
    I have a cheesecake delight dish that I like to make. The recipe is courtesy of my brother-in-law, who is a pretty awesome cook, if you ask me.

1 pkg. frozen raspberries
    8 oz pkg. cream cheese
    1 C. powdered sugar
    8 oz. whipped cream
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 C. melted butter/margarine
    24 graham crackers
    1 pkg. Raspberry Danish Dessert (it's kinda like a pie filling powder. you'd most likely find it in the baking aisle or maybe near the jellos)

Crush the graham crackers and mix with the butter.
    Press into a 9x13 pan and chill
    soften cream cheese, mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla
    fold in the whipped cream
    spoon onto crust

Make the Danish Dessert per package recommendations for filling. Once it bubbles add the frozen raspberries. Spread on top of cream cheese filling.

Chill until ready to go.

If you want you can also just use regular pie filling for the topping.

I hope these help!

6. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Enchiladas are always easy to make, taste great, and generally stand out from the norm.

Always a crowd (and tummy) pleaser :)

7. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

please!

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Black Bean Soup...easy to make, though the prep is a bit longer than 2 hours

Bliss Cups w/Brie...easy to make, but a bit expensive

Carrot Cake...can't go wrong with this

9. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

they do!
    thank you!

10. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

recipe's?

11. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

how do u make them?
    (you specifically- i know how to make enchiladas- but might learn something new from ya & your ideas/experiences)

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Black Bean Soup-soak the beans overnight in cold water before cooking. And don't puree the finished product...
    http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipes/blackbeansoup-9902.html

Bliss Cups w/Brie-I'm giving you this from memory. You might want to start small (with maybe 3 or 4 potatoes) and try it out beforehand so you can get a feel for what it is you want to do.

1lb bag of new potatoes
    1 wheel of Brie cheese
    1/2 cup fresh copped cilantro
    salt & pepper

1) clean and cut the potatoes in half cross-wise, not length-wise. Leave the peels on.

2) chop off the rounded ends of the cut potatoes so they will stand up on a plate

3) using a melon baller, scoop out the center of the cut potatoes, leaving about 1/8" around the scooped portion...One scoop won't do it, you'll have to scoop 2 or 3 times to get it right, most likely.

4) apply wax paper and non-stick spray to your cooking sheet. Preheat oven to 400º F. Wax paper goes down first, non-stick spray goes on top of that.

5) place the cups scoop-side down on the cooking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Put them in the pre-heated oven.

6) Bake for 10 min., then turn the cooking sheet 180º, and bake for another 10 min.

7) remove cups from oven, and allow them to cool.

8) after the cups have cooled, chop up some pieces of Brie cheese. Make them big enough to fill the hole you've scooped...the cheese should stick up about 1/4" out of the hole. You now have cold bliss cups...

9) before serving, heat the the bliss cups in a 350º or 400º oven, just enough to warm them and make the cheese melt a bit. You could probably use a microwave on a low intensity setting to do this, though I prefer to use an oven because microwaves tend to make potatoes a bit squishy...

10) sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top, and if you want you can lightly season w/salt & pepper

this is a great appetizer...please note, I say 400ºF based on the industrial gas range I used to make these when I was a cook. Whatever temp makes your baked potatoes come out the best is the temp you want to use, but 400ºF is a good starting point.

Carrot Cake-this is a really good recipe, IMHO
    http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCake.html

13. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I don't really do anything fancy - I just buy the El Paso sauce, beans, and ingredients.

Roll the tortillas up in baking pan, smother them in the sauce, coat with tons of cheese, olives, japenos/habeneros, and onions, and throw in the oven.

The recipe on the back of the can works pretty good (I've never made them from scratch or with my own recipe - but the default recipe is pretty darn good).

14. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If you need more ideas I've been to plenty of potlucks in my day.:D

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

This is my favorite place to go for recipes: http://www.epicurious.com
    They put a gourmet twist on even the simplest recipes.

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

So your thread got me to start going through my recipes, and I have to add at least one more dessert. It's always a crowd pleaser (so long as the crowd likes coconut).

Magic Cookie Bars

1 cube butter
    1 pkg crushed graham crackers
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    shredded coconut
    chocolate chips

Melt butter in 9x13 pan. Add graham crackers and thoroughly mix together. Evenly pack the crust mix along the bottom of the pan. Spread condensed milk on top of crust. Sprinkle coconut adn chocolate chips on top and press down firmly. Bake at 350 degrees until coconut is golden brown (approx. 20-25 min).

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110