Potty Trained, World Class Chess

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Oct 1, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Frequent toilet breaks have resulted in a row between two world champions, Russian Vladimir Kramnik and Bulgarian Veselin Topalov. One has accused the other of "cheating" in the bathroom. Knight takes pawn, check.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sep 16, 2001
    Tuttlingen, Germany
    Ah, makes more sense now that I've read the article. When I first read "Frequent toilet breaks", I took that as meaning one of them was continually clogging the toilet and annoying the Hell out of the other player :eek:

Imagine how much more exciting the world of chess would be, if players started pranking one another to throw off one another's concentration...I'd pay for that!
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    That would be AWESOME!

One goes to the bathroom, and the other puts a whoopee cushion in his chair!
  5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    For the modern day chess player, this will allievate those pesky bladder problems without interrupting play:

6. fuzzwud macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2004

Nice, if I played chess, I would use that as a party tray. Pretzels, chex, etc. Then, I'd make a refridgerated version for ice cream out of the bucket. Rocky road ...
  7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    Bathroom cheating happens, but I wouldn't have thought it to happen at such high levels of play. (Though, logically, it probably would as professionals cheat from everything from bicycling to baseball.)

When I used to play in high school, there were a few cases of cheating. In smaller "meets", there was a time limit of 40 minutes per player - sacrificing 1/4th of your time to make 2 moves (max, not like you're going to get away with 3+ bathroom breaks) wouldn't be worth it. In larger tournaments, where time limits were raised, cheating might be easier. However, you'd still probably be limited to 1 or 2 'cheating sessions' at great expense to time, and at the risk of being caught and disqualified.