powebook or macbook/macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joanna94, Oct 15, 2006.

1. joanna94 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, please - I am currently using an ibook G4 12" with 1G of RAM (moved over to a mac 6mths ago from windows) which works brilliantly except that I would like a larger screen area with a bit better resolution as much of my use on the computer is to do with imaging (not video though). I am torn now between upgrading to either a macbook or macbook pro but also wonder about buying a powerbook 15" from apple's refurbished website as it's size seems perfect. Any thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you want the extra screen space, buy the Macbook Pro. I wouldn't get the powerbook though, it's outdated.

3. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook/macbook pro/powerbook

Thanks for all help on the above - i guess it's to be macbook pro.

4. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i was considering this as well but i figured that having Windows OS would be helpful

5. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Just got my MB Pro and it's a rocket! I have't gone out and bought the extra RAM yet, but I can't imagine how damn fast this puppy's gonna be. Great machine.

6. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook pro refurbs

Hi - I've read a few threads on refurbs and basically people seem quite positive about them. Just wondering about going for a refurb MBP, but slightly bothered that they will most likely be from the first stock issued and anxious if they'll be ok - any thoughts gratefully received.

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i would not worry about getting a refurb. All my comps are refurbished from apple andhavnt had a problem yet. Good luck.

8. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot - good to hear your experience has been problem-free - for the price difference a refurb certainly appeals.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think going with the MacBook Pro over the PowerBook G4 and the MacBook is a wise choice joanna94. This summer I replaced my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 w/ 1GB RAM with the MacBook Pro in my signature and I could not be happier.

Going with a refurbished one is nice if you are looking to save some money and still get a great machine. :)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

11. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice, it's been a real help and I now feel pretty confident (and excited) about buying a refurb mbp. :)

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Try to hold out for a current 2.17 GHz MBP Refurb, so you're getting the latest model at the best price.
    I take it that you're not eligable for the education discount???

If you plan on doing any heavy lifting, try to configure your machine with 2 GB
    RAM as soon as you can afford it.

13. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this - Unfortunately no, I'm not eligable for the education discount and price is one thing that slightly nags re the refurb interest. Useful advice on the RAM - basically 1GB is going to be too little I gather?

14. joanna94 thread starter macrumors newbie

In fact, sorry to sound so ignorant, but is there something improved about the 2.17GHz MBP as opposed to one I've seen on the Apple refurb website with just 2GHZ? Does this mean it's a more updated better model or is it just speed - gradually learning about these things and their importance ...

15. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I think the macbook pro is what your looking for.

16. benneh macrumors member

Apart from regular wear and tear (physically), are there any downside to getting a refurb? Such as software, OS, anything?

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Usually they are in physically great shape, too.