Powebook sleep problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cemorris, Jun 11, 2005.

1. cemorris macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2004
    My powerbook will not awake from sleep recently. I am running 10.4.1. This seemed to coincide with the last security update. It is a random thing. About one time in 10 the display will remain blank when I open the lid. Anyone know about this or have a similar problem? I seem to remember this happening sometime in the 10.3.x series and it was fixed with one of the patches they released. Any suggestions as to what I could try and fix it?
  2. solidshane macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2005
    i have this same problem too, and it seems to happen whenever i move my powerbook... in other words, it doesnt happen at home very often. any advice would be appreciated.
  3. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    no, not exactly, but since the last security update my PB was taking a long time to sleep (it would always sleep, but it could take 30-60 seconds to do so). Yesterday I had to do a restart for another reason and since then my PB sleeps and wakes perfectly (and super fast) just like it always used to.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I've run into this too, sorta. My powerbook will wake, and I'll see the cursor on the screen - but I won't get the window to enter my username/password, and if I hit keys (trying to see if perhaps the window is there but hidden) I just hear the system error noise.

If I wait until it goes back to sleep, then wake it up again, it behaves as expected.

I haven't reported it because I keep expecting 10.4.2 to come out. :D
  5. jmort macrumors member

Jun 10, 2005
    Southern CA
    Same thing happening here

Yep, I'm having similar issues. Once every dozen times or so, My PB screen won't come on when I open it from a sleep. Simply closing the lid, waiting for it to sleep again and then reopening it has fixed it so far. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one this is happening to though.
  6. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    This used to happen in 10.3.early-rev ALL THE DAMN TIME, then they fixed it in 10.3.8 or so (can't remember the exact point releases where it became a problem or was fixed), and now it's back. Definitely not as frequent, but very annoying. You can't imagine how happy I was when this disappeared, and I'm not happy that it's back. At least now you can put it back to sleep and have it wake up correctly. Back in 10.3, often it'd just die trying to wake up and you'd have to turn it off and turn it back on again.

7. vkapoormd macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Powerbook won't sleep

I am having a slightly different problem; my PB wakes just fine, (i am running 10.4.1), but it won't sleep at all, unless i manually choose sleep from the menu. Any thoughts. I have checked all the energy saver settings and they are fine.
  8. cemorris thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2004
    How did you make it go back to sleep? If I close the lid again, it will not go to sleep. The only way I can get out of this is to do a hard reset.
  9. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    My power book will wake up but it always takes a few seconds longer than it use to.

One thing I have noticed also is when I type, the cursor will randomly skip around. It did that in panther until one of the updates fixed it. It is so frustrating but I haven't heard anyone complain about it.
  10. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    My display will always work when going from sleep, but I had that problem under Panther.
    Now, however I get a kernel panic from time to time when I try to wake it. I had that problem with Panther as well BUT never with Jaguar (were it would just lock up)
    Reseting PMU, PRam and changing eneregy setting doesn't seem to help. Run hardware test and everything is fine.
    I don't know how to help you, this problem is a mystery to me as well.