Powell criticises Iraq troop levels and rift with Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"Mr Powell said he had warned President George W Bush over dinner in August 2002 that the problem with Iraq was not going to be the invasion but what followed.

He told him: "This place will crack like a goblet and it will be a problem to pick up the bits. It was on this basis that he decided to let me see if we could find a United Nations solution to this."

So, yes, there was a plan to invade Iraq from at least August 2002. I mean. We all know this. There was a plan to invade Iraq since January 2001, and well before that. I can't believe 50% of Americans are that f'in' stupid to believe this administration.

Of course, in the administration's defence, Powell doesn't have any credibility left since his lying to the UN about Iraq's weapons programs and systems. How's that for a paradox!

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The boy who didn't cry "Wolf!"?

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Something like that. I'm just trying to be clever--and pedantic.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Powell is a good soldier, and has had a lifetime of following orders to mold him. I think what the Administration asked him to do (and/or lie about) cause him to leave though. It's a shame, he is one of the very few who seemed to really care about the position he held.

If the Bushies had tarnished my reputation like that I would be mouthing off all over the place, but I guess that would be career suicide in a way. Conservatives are fanatically loyal at this point and the Whitehouse would not hesitate to savage Powell.

The desire to speak out on his part must be killing him though.