powell will miss RNC convention

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 7, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

If Bush wins ( :eek: ), I bet Powell will miss the second term, too.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I believe he has stated as much...in fact, I believe Rice has not signed up for a potential second term with Bush either...(please correct me if I am wrong.)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

"Miss" is a euphemism for "wouldn't support this [insert derogatory Dubya term here] if his life depended upon it and therefore opted to skip the"

Personally I have a lot of respect for Powell and feel sorry for the role he was forced to play in the current administration.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

He always has the right to say "NO!"

6. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I hear whispers that the country's most popular Republican is eyeing the other side of the aisle.

Normally, I wouldn't post unsubstantiated gossip without a source, but hey, this is a rumor site.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

where do you hear these whispers?

8. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I'm working on a campaign, and people talk. Please don't take this too seriously. I think it's conjecture, personally. The GOP has really given him the shaft lately and the neo-cons are not fond of his views.

This is a page 2 rumor, at best.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think that's necessarily true (to an extent). When you're a GOP big-wig and Secretary of State, it doesn't look good when you say no or publicly speak out again your boss. Who knows what he's said no to in the cabinet? Who knows what sort of pressure has been brought to bare on him? He's done some excellent things for the world, but he's also had to spew some foolishness.
    I've seen him speak a few times and I've always been impressed by his intelligence, his eloquence, and his honesty. Despite the fact that he plays for the 'wrong side', I would have seriously considered him as a viable candidate for President. I know that'll never happen..

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I disagree. He could have, worst case scenerio, resigned his position and taken the consequences. It is a moral decision. Sometimes those have consequences. But the consequences of making a moral decision are much less damaging than the consequences of giving in.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Powell is a self-confessed team player. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but evidently it's very much in his character to not fight what he believes to be lost political battles. He's effectively trapped in an administration that keeps him around essentially as a figure-head with little real influence on policy because he's not a fighter for principles. I believe Powell is in the process of destroying any higher political ambitions he might have.