Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, guys,

I have a 30" HD Cinema Display at work that I can use, but it has no power adapter/AC plug–just the DC plug with USB/FireWire cables. Looking on eBay, the A1098 150W adapters are going for a crazy $150-200.

It's a great display, so I'd like to make use of it, but is it worth purchasing a new adapter? What's my best option?

Thanks!
-M

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Hey, guys,

I have a 30" HD Cinema Display at work that I can use, but it has no power adapter/AC plug–just the DC plug with USB/FireWire cables. Looking on eBay, the A1098 150W adapters are going for a crazy $150-200.

It's a great display, so I'd like to make use of it, but is it worth purchasing a new adapter? What's my best option?

Thanks!
-M

If you're comfortable with stripping wires:

http://pixelchimp.net/blog/pixel-chimp/replacement-power-supply-apple-cinema-display

About 2:25 in.

Personally I'd just sell the monitor and buy something newer, but if it's company property you probably don't have a choice.

I lucked out recently and got a 27" Cinema Display for $200, but I'd never spend more than that for an Apple display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.