Power adapter for Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by starnox, Apr 26, 2005.

1. starnox macrumors 6502

My sister got a new powerbook over in Canada a few weeks ago (she goes to uni there), but she is coming back to the UK for the summer. So I need a UK extension lead for it. You know you can add an extra extension cable to the transformer, well I am looking for one of those but with a UK plug end (If any of you have a mac portable you will know what I mean). Anyone know where I can buy one?

Cheers,
    ~Jordan

2. Stratification macrumors regular

I'd go to the apple store, look under more accessories and power. That gives adapters that just slide into the current power brick. Quick link (US Store):
    http://tinyurl.com/doe6n

3. starnox thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I guess I need the World Travel Kit - don't really want to spend £30 though.

Will it damage the powerbook if I use a normal US->UK plug adapter?

4. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

No it autoswitch to whatever the voltage in UK.
    You can buy the Kensington one
    http://www.kensington.com/html/5519.html
    It's cheaper.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Suggestion, before plugging anything in, make sure you can read on the adaptor itself that it handles up to 240V - such as "Input: AC 100 - 240V"
    Some people have been unpleasently surprised when they assumed their Mac power supplies were auto-voltage and didn't check the fine print on their own machine.

If it does say 100 -240, a simple plug adaptor would do.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

On the Apple Power Adapters, just use a standard Figure 8 Plug to connect the wall to the brick. All Apple's cables are, are those with a slide connector to look cool. They do show this in Powerbook Manuals. Also, as long as the cord/lead from the wall to the brick can withstand the voltage/amperage/frequency, so will the power brick.

TEG