Power adapter woes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macaddictann, Oct 31, 2005.

1. macrumors member

I have a 550 MHz Powerbook Ti. My cat, bless her, chewed through my power cord (she's OK). I didn't even realize it until I got a reserve power warning and found the cord was dead.

I went to the Apple Store, and all they had was this 65-watt adapter (the old Powerbooks use 45 watts). I asked the guy behind the counter if it would be OK for mine (I had my doubts). He said yes, but he wasn't even looking at me as he said it. He was completely checked out.

I plugged it in, and my computer didn't explode, and it charged back up, but I was still concerned. I asked a tech guy I know, who asked another, and the answer was that a 65-watt adapater will power the old ones, but I really shouldn't do that; I should get the right one.

Twice now I've had a flurry of warnings on the screen--about six appearing simultaneously--that speak of a USB device using too much power (sorry, I don't remember the actual text of it off the top of my head).

On Apple's site, I find this:
    Right. Well, I'm sure as heck not using the one that came with my computer, am I? What with the hole in the wiring and all...started sparking. Yep.

Anyway, I'm really, really mad at the jerk at the Apple Store who was of no help to me at all. I guess if I'm not asking about an iPod, he can't be bothered. Because I swear half the store is iPods and iPod gear now. ("What? A computer? Do we sell those?")

I may see about getting this uber-powerful adapter returned or hawk it on eBay or something. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to do. I've searched sites like eBay for these things, and the best there is is a 45-watt adapter that has that extra cord, the one with a 3-prong plug. Why can't I find one of the originals out there without that extra? Are they not allowed to sell them aftermarket or something? Will the ones with the extra cords work? Will Apple take back the one I have without the box it came in?

Man, it sucks to be 4 years behind the curve. :p

2. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That power adapter should work fine. Apple laptops have a regulator in them that will adjust the power adapter to the correct watts. That power adapter is made to work with your powerbook. Apple's warning is not to use 3rd party power adapters. I went through the same thing as you with my old iBook. It worked fine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

So do my error messages relate to something else? Nothing else I have has changed lately. Honestly, my first thought when I saw those is they were a pop-up on the web. But this morning, my computer was awake (which seems to happen here and there with its extra monitor) and had those messages again.

4. macrumors 68000

iEdd

Apple said not to use other power adaptors, including other powerbook ones.
    Get the right one. Get it ASAP.
    EDIT: @ Grapes911:
    Volts x Amps =watts.
    The voltage is fixed. Meaning it will draw as much current as it needs to. For the battery to charge properly the voltage has to be correct.
    Unregulated supplies mean that if the full current isn't drawn, the voltage will rise. Hopefully these are regulated. Still, get yourself the one with the correct specs.

5. macrumors 68040

California

I have a bunch of old tibooks and I have never had a problem with switching from the yo yo adapter to the square one.

In fact, when my original Tibook yo yo adapter got frayed, (this was on a 400mhz Ti) Apple themselves sent me a new square 65w adapter for it.

Your problems have nothing to do with the power supply, believe me, unless your cat's chewing antics did something else besides wreck the cord.

You shouldn't be that desperate anyway, there are plenty of yo yo adapters on eBay, new even with that flat top cord connector. I know because I bought one a few months ago.

Are you using a 2.0 usb device? If so, that is your problem anyway, because as all MR members now know, USB devices suck power from the CPU itself. Tis and iBOoks I believe all have 1.0 USB. This is why I love all my firewire externals. But you aren't having trouble because of the adapter, imho.

6. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's how I got mine. I had the 45 watt and it broke. Apple send me the 65 watt as a replacement. I complained and they told me how the notebook can regulate the power adapter to make sure they they the correct wattage.

7. macrumors 68000

disconap

Very true. I was able to use my laptop in Britain without a currency regulator.