Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Salm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
everyone,

I have a power book G4 that boots up ok. The machine text is in Chinese. How can I change it back to English? I bought this computer on ebay in a bulk buy. I tried going to the apple but i do not see a system prefrence tab. The OS is 9.1

Thanks in advance

cw48494

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I'm not certain, but I believe you have to do a full re-install to change it or at least throw in the original cd to change language kits under add/remove software.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'd suggest going to Ebay and looking for a retail(white background/orange 9) OS 9.2.1 disk.

Without knowing your exact model, I'm hesitant to suggest looking for an OS 9 disk as it may not install. OS 9.2.2 disks are system specific, and there are folks on here who would probably murder you for one for a Powerbook G4 :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'd better stick mine in a safety deposit box then!

All I can say is that if watch TiBook prices on Ebay, 867mhz and 1ghz models with the restore disks bring a LOT more money than those without.

I have the MDD 9.2.2 disks lying around, which are probably just as hard to find :)

These late computers really are sort of a pain, as I don't think Apple wanted you to actually boot them into OS 9 even though they could do so. Unlike older computers, there's no discreet OS 9 install disk-you just run the restore disks which install OS X 10.2.something and dump on a 9.2.2 system folder for classic support. Fortunately, that system folder is bootable.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
My TiBook 667 (VGA) came with 10.1.something and 9.2 on the same partition. It's got a manufacture date about 2 weeks before the DVI replaced it. You can pick either OS 9 or OS X via the Startup disk preference, the post chime option boot menu only shows whichever is selected in that preference.

That said the seller chucked an OS 9.2.2 CD in with the Mac, but it's labelled up for a PowerMac G4. Worked on the TiBook when I tried it though.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
OS 9.2.2 disks are system specific

Actually, an interesting fact about that.
Yesterday I took my original 2001 QuickSilver install disks, which are:
- System restore disks 1-3, with a premade image of the hard disk with OS X 10.1 and OS 9.2.2 on it;
- Mac OS X 10.1 Install CD
- Mac OS 9.2.2 Install CD
Well... both the OS install CDs worked on my iBook G3 without any issue, even though they say PowerMac G4 on the label.
I'm soon gonna try them on another machine (even though I don't have any other PPC Mac that can boot OS 9... whoops), but I think they will work.
It's weird...

EDIT: whoops... the version is actually 9.2.1. :D
They worked anyway...

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
everyone,

I have a power book G4 that boots up ok. The machine text is in Chinese. How can I change it back to English? I bought this computer on ebay in a bulk buy. I tried going to the apple but i do not see a system prefrence tab. The OS is 9.1

Thanks in advance
Try the Universal install disk from OS 9 Lives website:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

You'll need to look up how to burn an .iso to disk if you're not familiar.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
You can go to Macintosh Garden and pick up some interesting apps to run under Mac OS 9 from this link

http://macintoshgarden.org

For those of you who have 68k Macs you might want to download some of the software before they are no longer available...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
For those of you who have 68k Macs you might want to download some of the software before they are no longer available...

Are there any immediate plans to take 68K programs down from the Garden? I dug around and didn't find any mention of it.

Just as a general observation, I feel like the 68K community is stronger at this point than the OWR PPC community. There is a strong community of OS 9 enthusiasts, but a lot of the current interest there is in NWR systems.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Are there any immediate plans to take 68K programs down from the Garden? I dug around and didn't find any mention of it.

No but you know that when you wait, that' when you end up finding out some programs were taken down. I haven't seen any mention either but if you can download and archive then you'll already have them :)

Just as a general observation, I feel like the 68K community is stronger at this point than the OWR PPC community. There is a strong community of OS 9 enthusiasts, but a lot of the current interest there is in NWR systems.

interesting note...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.