Power Book Screen fall off

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by atomwork, Apr 3, 2005.

1. atomwork macrumors regular

I have a problem. My friend in germany bought a power book last year and now the screen broke off from the case. It seem that no one has the right parts for putting it together. I don't know what the parts are called either. I was hoping one here could help me what to buy. I am missing the word in english but its the part that moved the screen on the back.

Hopefully one can help. Apple wants to charge over 1000 bucks to fix it. Silly.

Thanks,
    David

2. Bear macrumors G3

It sounds like the English word for the part is "hinge", there are places in the US that will do hinge repair for under $300. There may be places in other countries that do the same. As long as it is only the hinges, that shouldn't be too bad. However if any of the internal cabling was damaged it will cost close to what Apple wants no matter where you go.

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Yes - the main questions here is does the screen still work? If yes, it's probably the hinge, which could also be referred to as a "spring". Good luck.

4. Bear macrumors G3

The official part name is "hinge". Please don't confuse the people who don't speak English as their native language.

And yes, if it still works, it should be an inexpensive repair, but until it is openned and checked, you don't know what else might be damaged.