Power Books And There Life Spans

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sabenth, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Ok guys heres a question regarding Power books ie new 12 and 17inch.

Given that there new i dont know how easy this will be but how long are they exspected to last before they give up and die ie are they like pcs in the sens that wear and tear will catch up now i know that this will happen in the end. i am just intrested in how long they will last before parts need replacing or the whole thing needs replacing..

Also with the 17 inch you get the glow in the dark keyboard how come they wont add such toys to none mobile devices....

thanks

sabenth

2. regan macrumors member

Heres the deal.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm about to buy my first powerbook. Two years ago I decided to go "portable" for good when I purchased my graphite SE clamshell ibook.

Now when I first got it, I babied the hell out of the sucker. But overtime...I took advantage of its sturdy plastic case and its gotten pretty dinged up.

But it still works GREAT.

Of course I like to keep that "pristine NEW look" going as long as I can...but as we all know "tings" happen.

That being said, you kinda grow fond of your laptops battle scars as it grows old on you. You fondly remember all the places you've been together.

However as my impending powerbook purchase approaches, I KNOW this is a different machine. As Spiderman says, "With great power comes great responsibility."

I know the powerbook will be alittle more fragile than my old plastic clamshell ibook. I know I will gently slide this sucker into a protective carry bag...and not be as carefree with it. Overtime this overprotectiveness my subside. I may even hold onto my ibook for when I go on overseas adventures to places with unforgiving climates and terrain.

From what I see of the 12" alumabook however, the new alumaline looks sturdier than the older tibook. Definately more scratch proof like others have said...but also just plain sturdier construction wise.

WHo knows, maybe I'll be slinging mine around in my knapsack without a care in the world.

peace out.

3. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Protective cases

I recommend getting some real protection for the PowerBook:

http://www.pelican.com/product/cases/index.htm
    http://www.zerohalliburton.com/computers_main.htm

My case has saved my PowerBook G4 many times over. Not only will a case protect the computer from impact damage, but it will also prevent damage from liquids and pressure changes.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

feel

the new 12" PB does feel more like the current iBook as far as sturdiness goes. a huge imrovement of the floppy pancake that is the current 15.2" PB.

any guesses at how tired apple care employess are of damaged 15.2" PB's from something that doesn't hurt the iBooks? ;)

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I agree that the iBook is an incredible machine in terms of durability. I dropped my 500Mhz iBook onto a concrete floor covered with linoleum, and it worked afterwards, even though the still-working DVD drive did not open properly.

It is my first (non-Quadra that was given to me when it was 10 years old) Mac and it got me hooked on the OS and software. Enjoy your PowerBook when you get it.

6. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Strong and sturdy

First off I am a little biased b/c I am eagerly awaiting my 12". If you pay $50 for overnight and it doesnt show up for four days should they give you that money back? What is the reputation of Macwarehouse and their record of appeasing customers? I do hope that the 12" is better in terms of scratching and damage than the ibooks. But I would like to note that the feel of both is about the same. And as an added I got to briefly see a 12" before my arrives tomorrow (hopefully) but I am a little concerned about the finish of the 12". Does it seem painted to you. I was hoping for some kind of polished aluminum that you couldnt possibly do anything too unless you dented it. And I have to admit I did attempt to scratch a floor model before I bought one. It did leave a mark but I think it would have wiped off with a cloth. I couldnt confirm that part of the test without being scared of having to pay for what I had done. Will anyone admit to trying that same test?

7. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Well l have to state taht at the moment I am having a concerne over what i want to do before i switch if i want to go free with no cables well at least no bloody 17crt screen at least. or whether to go onto laptops this is why i asked about how long they go with out to much trouble . I worked out that with pcs a lfe span of 5 years is good before they go flat out and smoke . were as laptops dont quite have the space for all that gear so it gets warm wammth makes things go funny and when things go funny things need replacing. e.g my last pc had a broken wire for somthing that got fixed 2 weeks later the video card went and 1 week after replacing that the whole system crashed and well to say it turned out that the heat sink hadnt been put on properly .. but then thats a custom made system not a huge dell or hp like company.........

Well I am still to decide i cancled my order for an i mac and put on hold till i can really work out what i want going mobile is a better option i think........

Just hope the battrys last lol.....

thanks again sabenth

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

my 17" pb's been in acid rain falling from the skies of los angeles. it was also dropped from the second floor of a building (in its case), smashed onto the ground, stepped on; banged against textbooks, binders, pencils, pens, iPods, cables, power adapter, and cell phone; and even dropped in water (not a puddle but like an actual swimming pool) and it doesn't even have a mark on it ;)
    Very happy and satisfied Apple customer.
    I guess I'll have to buy another alubook.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You treat your computer like **** if it's been through so much - IT"S A BRAND NEW PRODUCT!

The worst thing that I've done to my powerbook is spill a can of beer all over my desk and I think some got into the ports in the back. The machine turned itself off immediatly so I just dried it out. Works pretty good now but it's defenitly showing signs of abuse. (Scratches, missing rubber feet, dings and dirt all over it. I've also frozen it outside in -30 weather)

BEN

10. dubbelhund macrumors member

11. Adurbe macrumors member

bellis1,

www.macwarehouse.co.uk is a very good reseller I have bought many things off them without any problems.... I assume you are using the american side so I cant comment on them

12. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Owning a laptop is pretty similar to owning a baby. There is a lot nurturing, cleaning, and patience involved. Fortunately Apple laptops are more sturdy than their PC laptops. My brother had a Sony Vaio laptop that he purchased for $2,000, and he was barely able eek out 3 years from it. I've had a Powerbook G3, that I've had for over 5 years, and despite the scratches and a few minor incidents here and there, it is running OS X, and is still breathing. A couple of months ago I finally bought a G4 867 Powerbook, and that is definitely a lot tougher and stronger and better made than the PBook G3. These new Al or Ti Powerbooks are made to last, they may not last forever, but I'd be disappointed if you do not get a solid 5 years out of this product.