Power brick... breaking!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hob, Jan 6, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Ok, i'm back from uni for xmas - going back in a few days, but i'm mildly annoyed! My brother started complaining "his" (my old) iBook's power connector was starting to flicker n stuff. Crikey I thought, told him to stop using it and lent him mine... he doesnt use it a great deal so I just swapped to using my battery on my powerbook every time he needed a charge.

Then I'm sitting in bed just now, using my powerbook (I use it a lot in bed - don't worry, no need to call Powerbook-Watch of the Society Against Powerbook Harrasment ;)) and I noticed MY power brick is starting to flicker! It was green and started flicking on and off, so I unplugged it. Forgot about it, plugged in 30 minutes later and it was orange. All good. Watched an episode of naruto, noticed when I moved the cable a little it would change to different SHADES of orange, and now the battery's stuck at 97% and refusing to charge any higher, but the cord is still glowing orange.

Basically, will Apple give me at least one new brick for free (my powerbook's under warranty) or will they claim it's a consumable?!

I think my mum's ok shelling out £65 for my little bro, but £130 at once?! :eek: :( :mad:

Hob

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

apple will repalce it under warranty, but I find the apple power connectors themselves to be very flimsy. I just got a replacement one and it seems a bit better but I ordered a backup one from macally. It seems a bit more durable but we'll see.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Those power connectors are either very flimsy or sensitive.

My sister's iBook doesn't have the new power brick-style power supply (old UFO type), but depending on how the cord is bent, it will either charge or go to battery power and at times go back and forth. My sister's iBook started having that problem a while after buying it. I think it's the cord because if you bend it, it freaks out. I myself use her iBook either on a table or on the floor, so it doesn't fidget often.

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Yeah i was researching the problem and got to a page by a law firm representing apple customers with the old UFO style ones, and they were trying to get a class action going cos the old ones would spark and all sorts of things!

Similarly to you, mine has to be at certain angles to work properly!

Hob

5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Sounds more like it is a dry joint on the DC board and not the brick at all.