Power button not working...any idea's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clint1583, Feb 12, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Mar 4, 2011
    Got a call from my daughter away at college tonight and she says the power button on the iphone 5 she received this past Christmas no longer works, luckily it's stuck in the on position! Any thoughts or idea's in fixing it? I had bought the phone from Verizon but I'm not sure if she needs to take it back to a Verizon store or an Apple store. It's only 2 months or so old. Thanks for any help.
  2. macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2009
    My brother had problems with the power button on his phone. Verizon will send you either a new one or refurbished (you don't get to pick). Replacement will be sent out, no replacements done in store.

Apple will replace from store stock, if you go there.
  3. macrumors demi-god

Apr 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Took my wife's iPhone 5 in with the same problem to the Apple Store and they replaced it, no questions asked.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2012
    Northamptonshire, England
    Happening fairly frequently with other people - my friend just exchanged his after 5 months because it took 8-10 attempts to unlock his phone each time.
  5. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    If its convenient I'd much rather deal with the Apple store than the average carrier store. You'll walk out with a replacement without a problem but be sure to make an appointment online ahead of time for the genius bar.
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 19, 2012
    Been there, done that.

my perfect launch day iphone 5 had this problem happen just last month... so what's that? 3-4 months out of it before a major hardware defect...?

QC is slipping...
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for the help. Sounds like I'll make her an appointment with a local Apple store.
  8. macrumors 68020

Nov 3, 2011
    Um, do you really need to ask what to do in order to fix it? TAKE IT BACK TO APPLE!
  9. macrumors 6502

Dec 19, 2012
    Yeah, the short answer is take it to Apple. don't deal with VZW if you can avoid it. Apple will swap the device out on the spot. Verizon... well, who knows what they'll do.