Power charger heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Katharine, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Katharine macrumors member

Katharine

The power cord box (sorry I have no idea what it is called) has been getting very hot lately. I've had this computer since October and it has only been happening for maybe 4 weeks. It gets so hot I can't really touch it and sometimes it makes a buzzing noise.

Is this part of the warranty? What will happen if/when I call Applecare? Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks!

Oh and I have a MacBook so it is a magsafe charger:)

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Mine gets warm, but not hot and doexn't buzz. Could be a transformer problem, I'd definitely call.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is covered by warranty, but I have heard things about how the adapter is considered a "consumable". Just call and see what they have to say.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But they also tend to get hot enough to melt every now and then.

Saying it is making noise and is too hot to touch, while being worried about it melting or catching something on fire -- probably will get it replaced.

5. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Yea this adapter is the hottest I've ever seen. At the hottest, I can't even hold it for 30 seconds (sometimes I use it as a foot heater :D). It makes buzzing sounds and the cord connecting to the adapter looks a bit flimsy. I still think they won't replace mines so in the meantime I'll just deal with the heat (it's not like I'm holding it forever).

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yeah .... they get warm, but ....... not as warm as your is getting.
    Phone Apple.

FJ

7. Nuks macrumors 6502a

a little section of plastic right on the detachable part of the charger (the plug part) is yellowed and looks like it has sort of melted and re-cooled... it's hard plastic, but a different colour and look to it. I'll try and get a picture later on.. is that common?

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I've had my magsafe since November and haven't seen that. If it's overheating it's a potential fire hazard, and I'd be calling Apple.

9. junkster macrumors regular

Mine gets hottest when the computer is on and the battery is charging at the same time. Hotter than I'd like, but not blazing.

10. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Here are those pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had it since September.
    If it is a problem, I also have some battery problems (i think). Might they be related?

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Absolutely ....... Phone Apple A.S.A.P.

FJ

12. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Alright, I will. But before I do, does anyone think that my overheating charger might have any effect on my battery capacity (which I think is too low for how long I've had it..)

Thanks.

13. Chack macrumors newbie

I have had my MBP since the beginning of December 06. The power adapter has always been quite hot.

Yesterday, the adapter stopped working, and when I checked it, it was EXTREMELY hot. It was also oozing some earwax-like substance from both of the areas where the little things flip out so that you can wrap up the cord. After I unplugged it and let it cool down for a while, it started working again.

So today I went into the Apple Store. I was mildly admonished for not bringing my computer with me (just brought the adapter) because I guess they like to run tests on the computer to check for problems, but I left the store with a brand new AC adapter at no charge and with little hassle.

Kudos to Apple, yet again!

14. bluesna macrumors newbie

Macbook battery charger heat .. HOT !!!

I also have a Nov 2006 madeMacbook 1.83 Intel Core 2 Duo. My charger is also too hot to touch. I well have to order a spare, even after replacing this one. I did speak with Apple care today annd here is the story.
    After the technician, if you could call them that, verified my problem several, several, several times, and then putting me on hold for another 10 minutes or so, they said they would replace it and asked for my credit card. I said, what ?????? yes, they bill you for the charger until you return the old / broken part.
    These charger problems are not new as I had a problem immediately with my old G3 iBook 700. They replaced that charger very quickly and never even asked me to return the broken one.
    Apple / Mac is really changing for the worse. Mainly support , well, support and product quality control ! A long time Mac user, digital audio and always rock solid until my last 3 Mac , G4 867 dual, G3 Ibook 700, and G4 1.25 dual.
    All had problems $800 repair on my G4 1.25 dual that didn't work upon return , so they tried to fix it again .. it never worked properly after that, a G3 700 iBook that never worked out of the box.
    Now, my Macbook works better than any of the previous .. however, I do not ecpect it to last. Apple Care is a must (what a scam) and a spare charger is a must. They really got us where they want us.
    Anyway, your charger is covered.
    good luck

15. jeejeebu macrumors regular

Mine has made noises for a long time. Not all the time, but intermittently. I don't have Apple Care, so I would have to make an appointment for the Genius Bar and Apple's customer care sucks so much lately (I tried getting my faceplate replaced due to cracking, and they said they needed to keep it for 5-7 days, while my friend got hers fixed in 20 mins.) that I don't even want to bother.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What are your battery's stats? Use Coconut Battery and give us some info about # of cycles, remaining charge, etc.

17. Nolbob macrumors newbie

One side of mine is completely discolored. It looks like a subtle burnt look, it's kinda scary. I think I'm going to try and get it replaced.

18. gmecca2 macrumors regular

My charger for my G4 Powerbook gets extremely hot. I meant to take it in to possibly have it replaced at the apple store but I always forgot since I never had any other problems with my computer from day one. Now my AppleCare expired.

I always worried it would catch something on fire but if nothing has happened in the 3 years I have had it I'm not too worried. But if yours i releasing some sort of gunk I would definitely get it checked out.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You need to get that replaced as soon as possible. There is likely something very wrong with it.

Out of curiosity, do you leave it on a certain type of surface on that side for too long? Perhaps it's contributing to make a bad situation worse.

20. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Haven't had that issue. Perhaps ask a Mac genius? I've always had good luck with them...