Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I have a 2011 Air that I use with a brand new Thunderbolt monitor.
My wife has just upgraded and ordered herself a new 2012 Air.

I believe they changed the power connector on the 2012...? correct?

If so - I'm assuming (or sure hope) Apple is providing an adaptor in the box so she can connect to the Thunderbolt monitor with the 2012 when I'm away.
I know they use to include such things in the past. (I still have several short cable VGA adaptors)

Can anyone confirm this.
Thanks.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The new 2012 Macbook Air has a new Magsafe connector (Magsafe 2).

The Air does not include an adapter in the box to use it with the older connectors.

If you buy a new Thunderbolt display, it does include the adapter in the box.

It sounds like you will need to buy one yourself, they're only $10:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
The adapter is a $10 accessory.

They have started giving them away with TB Display orders though, so depending on how recently you bought the display, you might be able to talk them into giving you one for free.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
The adapter is a $10 accessory.

They have started giving them away with TB Display orders though, so depending on how recently you bought the display, you might be able to talk them into giving you one for free.

That figures.
OK- $10 is not a big deal- but I had a feeling $Apple$ wouldn't include one.
They should.

The monitor is only a few months old.
And like I said, I bought a 2011 Air and now a 2012...the least they could do is include the adapter. (I bet it costs them under a buck to produce it)

I live a few blocks away from the upper west side location- I guess I'll pay a visit and gripe.

Thanks

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Most people don't need that adapter. There's no use shipping everyone one so they can throw it away, or whatever.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Most people don't need that adapter. There's no use shipping everyone one so they can throw it away, or whatever.

True it's a minor frustration and at least they are including it with a current Thunderbolt purchase.
That said- I never needed many of the cables and adapters we use to get when we bought a Mac. Now it's nothing but the power cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.