power cord breaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flat6, Dec 4, 2006.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2004
    Oh dear God no PowerBook, don't do this to me now dammit, not when I'm working feverishly on an essay on the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics. Nooooo...

My power cord, through perfectly normal usage, has been gradually wearing down. Today it became really significant, with the wires actually becoming visible. It's probably going to snap off imminently:

Anyone has this happen to them? Where do I get a new one? How much?

I need this quickly, and will pay Apple whatever the bloody hell they want me to pay.
  2. miniguu macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2005
  3. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2004
    Ooooh, excellent.

Hahaha, I look on eBay and found a 21 bids driving a used power cord to $71... I'm guessing more than a few people have this problem.

I'll miss your beautiful green/orange indicators power cord, but right now keeping the laptop alive is more important.
  4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Don't panic, be gentle with it and the wires should hold it together until a replacement can be found. Unplug from the wall socket first!
  5. miniguu macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2005
    I owned the macally one for my 12" PB. Works great, albeit without the charging light. It's way more sturdy than the original. Good luck :)
  6. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2004
    Yeah, I've since buried it under a healthy dose of duct tape, hopefully that will keep it together for a few days until the replacement gets here.
  7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    The cord on the adapter for my old iBook finally gave out and split all the way down to bare wires, which started to break, causing some impressive sparking. People often have old adapters just lying around that they no longer need...ask your friends, post a WTB thread in the Marketplace here, etc. I picked up my replacement from a friendly MR member for under $10, including shipping.
  8. MacMan314 macrumors newbie

May 5, 2004
    I recommend duct tape and keeping a fire extinguisher at our desk. Also, I'd unplug it when you aren't around. When it lights on fire and you're putting it out you should avoid getting the foam in the speakers, keyboard, or ports.

9. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

Feb 23, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Wrap some electrical tape around it until you can get a replacement should keep it pretty safe. Then buy a new one ASAP!