power drain?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikeabnooy, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mikeabnooy macrumors member

Jan 22, 2004
    i am interested in buying a new ibook. I want to add a big hard drive and blue tooth to it but i'm not sure what effect it will have on my computer battery. what kind of things drain your computer battery? will the bigger hard drive do that?
  2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Not ..bigger hard drive wont draw more battery..
    Brightness,airport extreme,bluetooth, accessing hard drive, and battery age would affect how much time you get on your battery

infact a smaller ram may cause more swapping with the hard drive and cause faster drain of battery....

3. adamjay macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2004
    if you are going to "add" a different hard drive as an aftermarket modification, then, to save battery power, invest in a faster Hard drive, 5400rpm or 7200rpm if you can afford it. They are generally more effecient in power consumption, and as mentioned before - the less time spent accessing the drive = the more power you save.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i havent noticed any drain because of harddrive or BT, but as mentioned, Airport and Brightness and low ram all have an effect so those are the areas of more concern
  5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i doubt that bluetooth would use very much, if at all, battery power. apple's smarter than that...
    also, a larger harddrive will not cause a change in battery life. the speed is still the same. i think 5400 rpm is the sweet spot as 4200 rpm is slow and i think that 7200 rpm uses a lot of power to spin up... unfortunately, apple only offers 5400 rpm drives on 15 and 17 powerbooks...

6. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    depends on the drive you use. and the thing is the 7200rpm drives might take up more juice, its faster, resulting in less power used up
    but yeah i agree with you, 5400rpm is slow but nice :)

Honestly I do not see a point to Bluetooth...
  7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    well..i included active bluetooth as a source of battery drain coz on my cellphone i get significantly less battery time when my bluetooth is active..
    so yeah...