Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krimson, Sep 21, 2005.

1. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I felt this needed to be posted in as many places as possible.

Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Excellent! I'm now submitting a patent for "clothing based portable laptop and iPod charging". I expect to make millions! That, or spontaneously combust. ;)

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This story will be discounted as pure fiction.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I believe you mean "pure friction". ;)

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't know, it's almost stranger than fiction... ;)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm very skeptical as well... sounds WAY too good to be true. Wonder if/when Snopes.com will address this one?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Considering that the Van der Graaf generators used in high school physics labs all over the world generate 10s if not 100s kV, and you don't hear of too many schools burning down, I too am sceptical.

10. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I did a google search and it seems that a lot of news agencies are reporting on this. Not to say that the media always gets it right, but for this many groups to report it?????

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Snopes hangs out at alt.folklore.urban, where this is being discussed right now:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....0cd26e8daad/70c1cd375c2dc4e9#70c1cd375c2dc4e9

I'm sure there'll be a Snopes report soon.

Edit: By the way, the link to the Reuters story in the original post displays just an empty page now (at least on my browser)

13. AppleAce macrumors regular

This absolutely *has* to be fake. Either that, or Reuters and everyone else involved has absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.
    Volts do not measure electric current. Amps measure current. Also, current does not "build up" in articles of clothing rubbing together. Charge builds up.
    I can believe that the right collection of wool socks and nylon jackets and other static electricity prone items of clothing could build up 40,000 V of static electrical potential, if the weather was dry and everything, but there is no way that when this discharged that it would be able to supply a high enough current to light carpet on fire and melt plastic.
    Otherwise Van de Graff generators would not be safe to play with in school science labs, because they can generate wayyyyyy more charge difference than rubbing a wool sock on a balloon or something like that.
    Something isn't right here. Fire Official Henry Barton obviously does not know very much about electricity if he thinks that current is measured in volts. Clothing does not magically radiate electric current, like this article makes you believe.

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Touching something metal that was grounded should have taken care of this problem....