Power Mac 2.3, 2.7 or Dual Core Amd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pbagaindoc, Jun 26, 2005.

1. pbagaindoc macrumors member

I need to buy a computer which would you recommend Power Mac 2.3, 2.7 or Dual Core Amd. Thanks in advance!!! :)

2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

no offense intended, but what answer do people think they are going to get by coming to a mac site and asking if they should get item A or Apple-made item B?

Get the AMD

3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

ok, i guess i am an ass. we mac guys are supposed to be friendly and helpful so I will do whatever I can to help you make your decision.

What is your intended use of the system?
    Do you own any current software that you will need to keep or replace?
    Are you willing to learn a new OS? (assuming you are currently MS)
    What is your total price range? (if you need extra software/hardware purchases as well)

all of these things have bearing on what will be best for your needs.

i'll catch this thread at work in the morning.

4. pbagaindoc thread starter macrumors member

I'm intend to use photo ,video edit and a little games. Im willing to learn new OS. $ 3,000 limit for this. With the Mac switch to intell - this make me worry. Thank you for your help!!!

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

All of the machines you mention are great but it all comes down to software. The Mac can handle everything you mention but don't expect to see all the games from Windows available on the Mac. Check out http://www.insidemacgames.com/ and see if it has games you are interested in, the 2 other software types you mention are well supported on both Windows and OS X.

Personally I'd be buying the Mac but hey you're on a Mac site what did you expect me to say? ;)

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As long as you can qualify for the education discount, the Apple dual G5 2.3 GHz model @ $2299 will hold you for a long time.

If spending too much is an issue, you can still find a Rev B
    2.0 dual G5 for $1649 refurb or $1899 NEW in Box at most resellers.

The older Rev B 2.0 and the new 2.3 share the same Pro motherboard.

AMD makes some great hardware, but unfortunately you're locked into Windows security issues.
    Even if you could afford the hottest machine currently available, you'd still see it smoked after 4 years by new
    technology.

Any G5 will hold you for well over 4 years and by then Apple will have totally perfected any bugs in their Intel based triple threat machines.

Those dual core processors will be real expensive for a few years too, so time is in your favor.

Most imortant is to get something that suites your needs and a bit more for a reasonable price.

That $3000 will get you a GREAT well proven workhorse machine and a sweet display if you shop smart.

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

IMO you should get a dual 2.7, and use it for a good three years before you could even get a hold of a awesome Intel machine. If you are really concerned about the whole transition to Intel, then get a refurbished Dual 1.8 Power Mac and learn the OS on that. You still will be able to do all the video editing you want, but you will also save a lot with the 1,500 price tag. Personally, if I was going to use a computer for that long, I would get the best, because there is always going to be something better looming in the future, but you have to be in the present. (That's why I just got a Dual 2.3)

It's not like the current G5s suck, as they are great machines. Steve Jobs and Apple just doesn't believe that IBM can preform in the future. It's all abou the software. If you had a 3.6 GHZ Pentium 4 and the software sucked, it wouldn't be any better than a dual 2.7 G5...

8. pbagaindoc thread starter macrumors member

This site is One of a kind. Thank you very much!!! :)

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get Dual 2.3 GHz Power Mac. It will do everything you've stated at very high speeds and will last you more than 5 years

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

keep in mind that he needs to include the price of photoshop and fcp in the purchase cost. That and a monitor if he needs a good/large on for editing.

If you are a student you can get CS2 suite for $400 from adobe.com and final cut studio is $600 I think. That would be a hell of a lot a software for $1000 bucks...

11. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I just got a dual 2.3GHz G5 back in May. Even after the Intel announcement, I'm not upset. This machine is FAST. By the time the 2.3 machine is truly obsolete, you can then upgrade to a new, Intel machine, with all the quirks worked out.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Adobe will transfer any Windows XP license over to OSX at no charge
    other than shipping for the new install CD.

This is not really a big deal since iPhoto and Graphics Converter included free with OSX does a fine job.

Video editing is also easy with iDVD or Final Cut express.

I'm comfortable recommending either the older Rev B 2.0 or the new 2.3
    for many years of reliable service without breaking the entire budget on the CPU alone.

13. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

consider photoshop elements as well if you don't need the rest of the suite. In other words, if you don't do vector illustration, page layout, or (god forbid with the crap that golive is) web layout, don't bother with the full suite.

FCE is good as well.

The software that you would get in those bundles would be outstanding for that price though!

Do you have an office suite? Neo office is free, but no ms office killer for sure.

14. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I'd recommend the dual 2.3GHz Power Mac because it's at a good price point. Or you could also consider a dual 2GHz Power Mac (Rev B, not the recent one) - the Rev B has a better motherboard than the Rev C (recent) one and has 8 RAM slots (instead of 4 in the current one).

I would also suggest that you set aside some money for after market RAM. Buy the basic amount of RAM from Apple and upgrade it yourself and add another 1GB or so. Getting 1GB from other vendors (like OWC - www.macsales.com, Datamem - www.datamem.com, Crucial - see link at the top of this page) would cost around $100, give or take a few dollars. That will make your machine faster now and it will also remain faster longer (with newer, bulkier software upgrades).

Also keep a budget for the display - the 20" Apple Cinema displays are pretty good, and these widescreen displays look a lot better than standard displays. But if you don't mind Dell, you could get a Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen display for around $400 (with Dell coupons and offers). The 20" ACD looks a lot more elegant and neat though.

P.S.: If you buy RAM from Crucial, use the link at the top of this page - it would help support this website. :)