Power Mac 2.3 or 2.7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pbagaindoc, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pbagaindoc macrumors member

Jun 8, 2005
    I need to decide soon, which one do you think is better? Anyone owns PM 2.7, Hows it running? thanks in advance! :)
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Well duh, the 2.7 is better.

But whether its a better choice for you is another matter!! What's your budget, what do you want to do with it etc etc. Generally the best bet is, buy the best you can afford - just make sure you factor in buying things like screens etc and in my opinion a 'cheaper' computer would save you money so that you can get an even better screen.
  3. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2003
    cleveland, oh
    what are you using it for, how big of a monitor do you want, how often do you upgrade, do you plan on switching to the intel systems when they come out (if that matters to you, these comps will be supported for 5 more years), etc... i'm not sure of the raw difference in speed between the two systems, but going with the 2.3 wouldnt be THAT much slower, and you could afford more RAM, a nicer monitor, etc...
  4. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    The dual 2.3GHz is only marginally slower than the dual 2.7GHz (maybe 10%, depending on the application). If the budget allows for a dual 2.7GHz plus a big monitor and more than 2GB RAM, go for it. If there is a budget constraint, as mxpiazza said, you'd be better off with the dual 2.3GHz - you could add 2GB RAM yourself (not from Apple - it's expensive) and also get a bigger display, probably a 23" Cinema HD or a 30". :) If you don't mind Dell, you could go for the Dell 24" display too - it's cheaper than the ACD (even the 20" is). Since the display is "your view of the computer", go for the biggest and best you can afford. Also set aside about $200+ for the RAM upgrade - it'll add to the performance of the machine.