Power Mac 450DP or 450/Sawtooth?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Unclej78, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Unclej78 macrumors member

Oct 18, 2002
    I'm trying to get a G4 Tower.

I wondering what to start off with either a G4-450DP or G4-450Sawtooth, as far as upgrade ability and cost of upgrades.

I have been using Macs a long time now, I just need to upgrade from my G3 iMac. I'm on a tight budget and need to buy low and upgrade in pieces. For now any G4 450+ would be just fine.

Wondering if spending $200 extra for the Dual Processor is worth it?

Both machines have DVD-Ram one thing I will like, close to same size harddrives, but only a slight difference in RAM, which I can add as I need it.

DP has Gigabit and the 450 Single doesn't.

So basically from what I can tell, they are pretty much equal except the DP.

Any comments? or Ideas?
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Where have you looked for a new PowerMac? Did you do a search on Dealtime, or do you know someone, who can get you a PowerMac for cheap?

Above all else, though, do you NEED a dual processor? Do you need the extra gigabit ethernet connection?

If you are looking to work a lot with processor-intense apps, for instance, working a lot with Photoshop and large images, perhaps video integration, or working with audio encoding/mixing, you will be better off with a dual model. If you need something to get a few here and there heavy Photoshop or video jobs done, and you feel minimal need for the gigabit connection, then get the single processor model.

For cheap and effective memory, check out http://www.18004memory.com and pick out the correct memory for your machine.

Will you be running Classic, Mac X, or a combination? If you are going to work with both X and 9 you should have at least 256MB of RAM on your machine, 512MB suggested.

I'm pricing a 512MB chip for your machine at $69 from the link I provided.
  3. Unclej78 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2002
    I use Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator daily. I was looking at some Powermacs from Macsofalltrades.com.

I personally don't own a G4 Power Mac yet. (I do own iMac G3-400)
    Looking at: DP450 - $899 and the Single 450 - $699.

Ram right now wouldn't be much of a deciding factor.

Trying to understand if the Dual would help Illustrator 9 and Photoshop 6 run faster and is it worth paying $200 more for?

I do use files exceding 50mb daily. I do publications and graphic design. I use a variety of Macs on a daily basis, the fastest being a G4-867 and the slowest G3-266.
  4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Re: Power Mac 450DP or 450/Sawtooth?

DVD-RAM == Bad. DVD-R or DVD-RW == Good.