Power Mac 5500 & Mac OS 8.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nick004, Jul 1, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Hi!

Just got dumped with someones old Power Mac and wanted to play around with it. I only started on Mac's in the OS X times.

Anyway, I plug in the keyboard and the mouse into the keyboard. I turn it on and OS 8.6 freezes on the "Starting Up.." load screen. I do not have the install discs, any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Linux?

You could try to put a PowerPC version of Linux or NetBSD on it. There is the questionability of legality on abandonware where you may get a copy. However someone may be willing to give up their legal copy for you, check ebay, I think OS 9 would work on it too.

3. macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Try this-
    Hold down the shift key on the keyboard when the computer first turns on. This will disable all of the extensions and may get the computer to start up completely.:apple:

4. macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

No offense to the previous guy (Linux), but i don't suggest using any linux. word has it that they tend to install just fine, but when you try to reformat to put on a different operating system (go back to mac) or restore, etc. you won't be able to because the Linux is said to 'stick' in the computer.
    My suggestion is to find a copy of mac os 8.5 from a person or such. Man, you can purchase install disks of os 8 for super cheap from the net. Or if the powermac has enough processor and ram, you can even find a copy of os x 10.1, they're rather cheap now too.
    Anyway, good luck; and don't give up, you'll figure it out.

5. macrumors regular

Avenger23

You can go up to Mac OS 9.1 on the Power Mac 5500. I would not recommend loading Mac OS X on it, since it will not handle the operating system. You can still find cheap copies of the older Mac OS's on the Internet to reinstall the system with.