Power Mac bto

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by giovanni, Feb 11, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Just noticed that estimated shipping for Power Mac bto (in my case a Dual 1.25 where I simply replaced combo with superdrive and added internal bluetooth), went from 3-5 days, to 5-7 days (when I ordered) to the current 2-3 weeks !!!
    WAY TO GO Apple ... by then (whenever that is) we are likely to have new Power Macs with processors at 1.54345Mhz ahahahahahha

gio

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Um... no.

Apple isn't updating till summer atleast.

3. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

I was joking ... I would not care so much. what worries me here is that lots of people now have been waiting for the macs and that shipments seem to be constantly delayed. I worry that this is not simply a supply delay, rather problems with something like FW800 (?) .. we all heard about the problems with the pro speakers. Going from estimates of a few days to a few weeks is suspicious. Oh well, we shall see.

gio

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

welcome to the world of apple where everything is delayed until the absolute last day. :rolleyes:
    At least I already got the new pmac and 17" pb :)

5. wormy macrumors member

The same thing happened to me. My 1.25 DP went from Feb 4 to Feb 11, and now it says Feb 14. Pure torture! ...especially since my lonely 20" Display has been sitting on my desk for a week and a half now. Crap on a stick.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its because motorola is still working on getting to 1.3ghz. so they have very very few chips that can make it and still live at 1.25 let alone 1.42.

7. GigaWire macrumors 6502

8. blogo macrumors 6502

its 3 weeks and 1 day since i ordered my 12" powerbook

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i know how you feel. we got three in about 2 weeks ago. 1 went on display and 2 went out the door. my mom ordered my one for personal use 2 weeks ago and it finally shipped the other day. that was 2, we still have another 3 on order. no word on the 17's though. you order should be shipping soon.

iJon

10. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so ! still, mine is scheduled for on or before the 18th. It is not easy to get used to the iBook and I need to do some work (unfortunatelly).
    The ones you got, were they with the superdrive ? if yes, any issues with the sleep feature ?

gio

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

nope, we special order all our superdrive powerbooks. or else i would tell you. sorry man.

iJon

12. wormy macrumors member

pissed

Ok, so now the ship date for my DP 1.25ghz went from Feb 4 to Feb 11 to Feb 14 to.....MARCH 10! And I ordered Jan 28- the day they were announced! This sucks, if I didnt want the superdrive so badly I'd cancel with apple and order from Macmall. Anyone else out there getting the ship date pushed far back?

13. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

wow wormy this sux big big big. I am going to cancel the order and get it at the apple store. I guess I will add later the superdrive (hopefully there won't any issues) and for the bluetooth which I know delays shipment drastically, I guess I will live with the external USB thingy. Did you also order the bluetooth. If you ordered now it is the only thing that pushes shipment like 2-3 weeks, no at all the superdrive. Or else Apple is bs'g big time with their estimates.

14. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

superdrive

wormy, as I am asking elsewhere, have you thought of getting the PM w/o superdrive yourself and adding it later ? Like I mentioned earlier, I am thinking about doing just that, but I do wonder whether this is as simple as it sounds. Your thoughts ?

15. Skurn macrumors newbie

Maybe a reason...?

Have anyone thought of the fact that Apple are trying to gain market share by using its stores? They want to win over windows users, so maybe they give their current/first supplies to their stores. If they have supplies in the stores, it would be easier to convert the customers right away, like "Look at this gorgeous 17" PB! Don't you want one? You could get one now if you'd like" instead of "Sorry, we don't have any, but come back in a couple of weeks". To me, it seems more logical of Apple to delay their online customers than the ones that actually goes to one of their stores. Many of them are PC users you know.
    (My very first post btw)

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

In Sept, when buying a new Mac, my delay was increased twice. Eventually, I received my new display and accessories without a new tower. What a terrible feeling, looking at how beautiful the new display was, but not having the machine to make it complete. Then Apple shipped my machine the next day, one week ahead of delay, and two days behind the original ship date.

Perhaps others will have similar luck?

Dan

17. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

skurn, I am afraid I don't follow you. If Apple is trying to attract new customers clearly it is trying to do so not really by making hardware availabla at the stores, rather by making good and innovative and fast machines available period. FW800 is such a thing (possibly, too early to say though), bluetooth is possibly another one. AND THE SUPERDRIVE for sure is one. Now the new PM with superdrive are simply NOT AVAILABLE or being delayed. The new 1.42Mhz, the top of the line Apple representative, yet a technology that is many years old and outdated, was announced a month ago and it is not even near to be seen in the stores or anywhere. So, I have no doubts that if a potential new Apple customer, I mean a switcher, heard of .. wow !... a 1.42Mhz PPC, with superdrive, bluetooth and FW800 and concluded this is what I wanted in order to buy a Mac....then he will not becaused there are not available.

I see myself, an Apple only dude since the Apple II, I am willing to take that crap, but trust me, not so likely for many switchers. It is such a big move for someone to go from PC to Macs that the decision is so easily reversable.
    I myself would go for the 1.42 if there were available in a reasonable amount of time !
    So, I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

18. Bear macrumors G3

The best thing to do when your order has pieces that go together is to tell Apple to ship it when all the pieces of the order is available.

I didn't do this with the iMac FP I ordered last year and had a small pile of stuff waiting for the actual iMac. (iSub, Applecare, DVD-R's, FloppyDrive).

I learned my lesson, and those I help order I tell the same thing. I see no reason to pay for part of a system a few weeks or more before I can actually use those parts.

19. Hockey Nut macrumors member

Marketing 101. Product availability and visibility. Nothing is worse for a company than to be Out of Stock. When someone is ready to buy something, you want to take their money now. Otherwise they may change their mind, and buy somehting else. That's why car dealers don't want you to sleep on it. They know if you think rationally about your potential purchase, you may wait or buy something else. This is critical for switchers, who probably have some doubts about taking the jump anyway.

P.S. i'm new here, so be kind. :)

20. wormy macrumors member

Giovanni,
    I thought about getting the superdrive seperately, but decided not to. I know my luck, and i'd probably have a lot of issues getting it in. And i definitely dont want to buy an external dvd burner because im pressed for space as it is, and i'd rather have it all in one nice little package. Not to mention it'd ending up costing me more money, and I have no need for 2 optical drives.

So I guess I just have to sit here and wait another month, which is friggin ridiculous, especially when im spending $3600 on this system to begin with. BTW i'm not getting bluetooth...just the basic 1.25ghz system with superdrive added. Apple- start paying your workers overtime and burn the midnight oil!

21. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I see what your are saying wormy. I can hardly blame you. I might wait myself, for the same reasons. I just can't believe it though....

22. Skurn macrumors newbie

Get it?

I agree with Hockey Nut. That's my point, that Apple would rather give their first machines to the potential switchers coming in the stores than to those that come to their web store and orders. People buying macs from the web usually knows what they'll get while the switchers will go to the stores to see, feel and learn about macs before buying. In other words, it's more important to have the macs in the store.
    And about the "old" 1.42 speed, they might learn something about the Mhz myth at the store.
    I think it's too bad you and other people buying off the web gets delayed, but we'll just have to wait and hope for Apple to sort this out.

23. ottomatic macrumors newbie

ain't that the truth!

I've been waiting toget one of the new 1.42 dualies but am holding pattern for the ATI 9700. It won't let me spend my money?!

24. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

skurn, the whole point is that superdrive PMs ARE NOT AVAILABLE at the stores AT ALL. They are simply NOT AVAILABLE, not even on the moon. So your point is pointless. Even more so when considering that the reach of the Apple store is still pretty limited and it would simply be unwise to rely on them to lure switchers.

25. Skurn macrumors newbie

That is probably why you are delayed, because the first supplies goes to the stores. Even if there aren't any now, I think the stores gets it first. That makes you and many other ppl that ordered online pushed back. See where I'm going?
    And remember, this might be a reason, so I'm not saying that it is.