Power Mac custom configuration?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wiseguy27, May 2, 2005.

1. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

[Note: I'm repeating this question since I didn't get any response over the weekend. If I do not see responses, I will not repeat it again.]

I love the Apple store (USA) interface where I can customize the machine and immediately see the changes in the price. I'm looking to buy a new Power Mac but I would like to tweak the configuration (like video card, RAM etc.) to see which options seem good to me (both usage as well as price).

Since the Apple store charges sales tax in every state, which is an additional burden for me, I'm thinking of buying a Power Mac from another authorized seller.

I'd like to know:
    1. which sellers in the US provide custom Power Macs and how they approach this (is it like the Apple online store or would I have to call them to provide the specs and check the prices or visit their store physically...)
    2. do they provide almost all the options for custom configuration (like RAM, video card, DVD drive, etc.)?

I looked at a couple of online stores but could only find "pre-built" Power Mac systems (with the default Apple configuration).

Additionally, any recommendations on getting cheaper prices and deals with specific stores would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time! :)

2. wiseguy27 thread starter macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

That was the only one I had seen so far, although their quotes for custom configs are available by phone or email (not online). :) The other stores (like macconnection, macmall etc.) seem to provide only the default config.