Power Mac G3 question on buying...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BrianT1701, Jun 6, 2003.

1. BrianT1701 macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2003
    I am considering buying a Power Mac G3. What do you think the most ghz i'll need in a processor will be. I don't plan to do much on it but play games maybe go online with it. I want to be able to run OS X.

I don't want to spend too much (over 100 dollars) on this.

What do you think.
  2. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Re: Power Mac G3 question on buying...

$100? If you're looking at getting a used g3 that you can run os x and do gaming, it may be a lil hard. As for a new one, impossible.

sorry, $1000 is definetly possible and you could get a nice lil something going.
  3. BrianT1701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2003
    what is the minimum processor needed to run OS X. I've seen some 300-450 mhz G3's on ebay for 50-100 dollars. Maybe I'll stick with os 9 or something. I have a extremly powerful Dell PC. The mac thing is something I am just getting into and I am not looking to spend a lot of cash or get a mac that is impressive, because 1. I don't have the cash. 2. I like my PC.
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Officially, OS X will run on any G3 (except the first PowerBook). However I've heard that an early G3 will be really slow. I can't comment, I've never run OS X on anything slower than an 800 MHz G3.
  5. BrianT1701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2003
    That is what I was thinking. If I do get a G3, I'll be sure to run nothing more than OS 9.x...
  6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    OS X runs alright on an iMac 350mhz.

I do have a Beige G3, and OS X ran on a 350mhz G3 on it, though admittedly slowly... If you do get a Beige, even at 266mhz, make sure you add RAM asap. OS X loves RAM and knows how to use it. I would recommend no less than 256 for OS X (without games), 384 would be nice though.

Edit: The cheapest used G3 desktop I could find was $319 at PowerMax (www.powermax.com).
  7. ZeeOwl macrumors member

May 31, 2003
    Sherbrooke, QC, Canada.
    G3 for OS X

I have a 350 MHz G3 Blue & White. OS X runs fine on it. I have 10.2.6 now. It's a little sluggish, compared to my 700 MHz G4 iMac, but definitely useable.
  8. ewoh24 macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2003
    I've got a 300mhz PowerMac for sale. 384MB RAM, 6MB VRAM, 10.2.6 installed. Will come with 10.2, OS 9, 8.1 disks, Photoshop 6, Quark 4.4 installed. I'm asking $450.
  9. Akira macrumors member

Sep 18, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Re: G3 for OS X

that's because the B&W G3s have a faster mobo (100MHz vs. Beige's 66MHz).
    And your HD is probably faster too.
  10. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    calgary, ab canada
    mac os x runs fine on my ol' blue and white g3 350 desktop, and fine on my g3 400 firewire laptop. i use them every day for production in web dev, photoshop, freehand, etc. i bought the g3 350 second hand for 500 bucks canadian. put 80 dollars into ram (384) runs great. fast enough for me. i work on g4 800 quicksilvers and these are noticeably slower but not so much to prevent working efficiently.
  11. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you get a used G3 I'd recommend getting a new PCI video card for it. Get one that's got at least 16MB of VRAM and is at least a Radeon and there is a way to enable Quartz Extreme for PCI video cards. This will greatly improve the OS X GUI performance, and will make the OS X experience better for you.

To enable QE over teh PCI Bus, you have to use PCI Extreme, which is available on http://www.versiontracker.com
  12. Santiago macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Mountain View, California
    I have a beige G3 266 I use for a web and mail server. I log into it sometimes to update things, and it's pokey but usable for text editing, though web page rendering is a bit painful. It cost about $150 on eBay five or six months ago.