Power Mac G4 Dual 450, A Gaming Machine??

Discussion in 'Games' started by chanoc, Nov 19, 2004.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I am winning an auction on eBay for a dual 450 with 512 SDRAM, 32MB VRAM AGP 2X, and 7200 RPM Hard Drive. Are games optimized for dual G4s? I am planning on maxing out the RAM and getting the fastest AGP 2X card I can find.

2. Yotabyte macrumors member

Yotabyte

Ummm... not exactly what i'd call a lean, mean, game playing machine, but you should be able to run some of the classics at decent frame rates. Just don't try to install like... UT2K3 on there, could get uber depressed. :p

3. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I have played a few (diablo 2, wingnuts) games on a dual 500 with a 16mb rage. It did okay, but I didn't have start with high expectations. I suspect with a better graphics card it would do a little bit better. To answer your question, I don't think many games are dual processor aware (especially for the mac). What I have read before is that with dual processors the second processor will pick up system, sound, and a few other processes to leave one processor totally free for the game to use. This does help a little but doesn't double your performance. What I have noticed about dual processor machines is that you get sustained performance. Say for example you are playing a game on a dual 450, and a 933 single processor. The 933 would have a higher FPS, but more dips. While the 450, will run at a lower FPS, with fewer dips. Sorry I don't have exact numbers, I can only tell you how I thought it played. Another note, and some may disagree with me, but 512 ram should be enough. You will see a minor speed bumb with 1gig, but it is not worth the money in my opinion. Hope this helps.

4. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

Thanks for clearing things up everybody! :)

The machine will be a nice "work horse" though.

5. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

400>? Whats this? Srry, I'm out of the loop but that means 400 Mhz??!!! Or some Mac I've never heard of named the "400"?

People all over these forums are telling me that Macs r no good for gaming... that may be true generally... maybe I just have the "perfect" mac but I doubt it. I run a Dual 1 Ghz G4 with 1.5 GB SDRAM, and by Poop, UT2k4 quits on me every once and a while and Call of Duty lagged for a literal 2 seconds during the winter campaign. Oh well... "I" think Macs are just fine for Gaming. The only games that go onto Mac are the good ones that sold well (Generally, so in other words I just choose from some of the best.)

P.S. Yes Yes I am aware that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 is not on the Mac console. However, I will live... and I think its worth having a Mac.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Standard on the DP450 was Rage 128pro woth 16mb.
    What card is it in there?
    Its probably a Radeon, Radeon 7500, GF2MX or GF4MX ( is there any other 32mb agp cards for mac?)
    If its a Radoen or a gf2mx, then the card still is limiting the system a bit, but not much. For gaming get a faster CPU.
    There are very few games that are optimized for dual CPUs.

There are very few games that runs great on a dp450.
    Quake3, Unreal Tournament (original) will run good.
    Soldier of Fortune II, RTCW, MOH:AA and WC3 will run but not good..

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

How about StarCraft? Will that run?

;)

(Answer: Yes. Quite well.)