Power Mac G4 Temp

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jobooth321, Sep 21, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

First post. Just had to replace the logic board on my PMG4 DP 1.25GHz machine. For the life of me, I can't remember the operating temperature before I swapped the board. Currently it's running at 130F - 140F. This seem about right for the other folks running these machines?

2. macrumors regular

I have a G4 1 ghz Dual MDD (same fan and aluminium heatsink as 1.25 ghz) as a second machine. The machine would idle at about 54 C (129 F) and the beefy fan would kick in from 58 C (136 F). Remember that the CPUs in these DP G4s don't cycle down during idle unless you use Apple C.H.U.D. tool and enable Nap mode. This will allow the machine to idle at arround 40 C (104 F) and run quieter. Hope this answers your question

3. macrumors 68000

disconap

The duals tend to run hot; since replacing my sing 1.1 with a dual 1.3, it's noticeably hotter, so much so that I don't need the heater under my desk anymore. Not a big deal, but if you're worried, look into extra fan options (add one blowing on the heat sink or a PCI slot exhaust fan).

4. macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

My G4 1GHz MD runs at about 134 F

I didn't know you could nap the processor can you give details on how you enable it?... I already have developer tools and CHUD installed...

5. macrumors 68020

pastrychef

jobooth321, those temps appear to be just about how hot my PowerMac MDD runs. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. Good stuff. I won't worry as the machine is stable as ever. Gotta love it.

7. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Great to hear!

I am still fighting a much slower G4 500 (SP) processor swap in a B&W. The thing is always running hot, despite me having a CPU fan on a CPU that shouldn't need one!