Power Mac G4 Vs eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by noxes, Oct 30, 2003.

1. noxes macrumors member

Sep 15, 2003
    Great White North
    Hi, I just got approved for $2500 CAD, Which turns out to mean I can spend ~$2183, before taxes (14.5%). If some of you could give me some advice on which system to buy. I could get a Power Mac G4 Sigle 1.25 GHz:
    80 GB HD
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    64 MB ATI Radeon 9000
    1 MB L3 Cache
    =$2096 With Edu Discount

160 GB HD
    ATI Radeon 7500 Graphics DDR 32MB
    eMac Tilt and Swivel
    Apple Video Adapter
    Epson Stylus Photo 820 Color Inkjet Printer
    =$2020 With Edu Discount

What would be the best bang for the buck. I can go buy a moniter elsewhere so that is not a big thing for me. I was looking at the iMac 17", but it came to just under $3000 with taxes.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    1st your prices can be better so start shopping around. it is allways better to have a machine that can grow with you. powermac. enough said. but and here it is if you want the most computer for the least cost and are looking for terrific value Emac is the new imac if you know what i mean and starting at 1 gig for $794.00 US$ its hard to beat this thing and i have seen deals of free ram and or printers etc to go with it. noxes i dont know where you are getting prices but they suck.
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I think he must be getting the RAM upgrades from Apple or something. That eMac price looks hundreds of dollars too high.
  4. noxes thread starter macrumors member

Sep 15, 2003
    Great White North
    These prices are from the Apple Canada Store. Where else can i use an apple instant loan?
  5. maelstromr macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    Right guys...everyone always gets confused by Canadian money...even after they've been told several times.
    As long as you don't mind having to shell out a good deal more for the powermac monitor...it's in a COMPLETELY different world than the emac. At the very least you can keep the powermac around longer, adding or upgrading as you go.
  6. lindmar macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2003
    Where are you from?
    I live in Canada, just outside the Detroit border and have found, that I can drive over to the Apple store in Detroit. Pay US dollars for a new computer and even with the exchange rate , save a few Hundred Bucks!!

Same thing with iBook g4 right now, 1349 CDN Educational Price + 15% tax = Around 1550 CDN!!!!

Same iBook G4 = 999! 10% Discount Bargaining with Apple Sotre Guys.. Plus exhange rate = 31 Percent, Plus Michgan Sales Tax = Total Price around 1350!!!

Even full price , 1099, still save around 100 bucks = more ram!!

There is something wrong with the economy here!

But anyways, more bang for your buck... G4 Powermac all the way.. Upgradeability is key!
  7. punter macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2003
    yeah I almost bought an outdated powermac g4 because of the upgradability (which is better then the g5).

There's space for hard drives and two optical drives (which you can buy cheap!).

That said, you need a monitor.

Bang for buck tho, the power mac will shoot the emac most days of the week I think. Better graphics card and everything. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  8. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    dont buy apple ram as an upgrade. its way expensive.
    i just bought an emac. the superdrive one for the education price. 1250 CAD. cant beat that price.
  9. noxes thread starter macrumors member

Sep 15, 2003
    Great White North
    Decided to get the PowerMac, I am too far from the states at this time of the year, so I wouldn't be able to slip down to Spokan, until I went to visit the parents. I sure ain't buying RAM from apple though, I will order some from crucial.com or somewhere else. Thanks for your suggestions.