1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Power Mac G4 Wireless Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by canthatenuff, Aug 21, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

My father just gave me a Power Mac G4, but it doesnt have a wireless card. I know that the Apple Airport cards work but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper than the 60-100$ I would have to pay for one of these.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502a

Keep an eye out for a Asus PCI WL-138G. It reputably works natively (no drivers).

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 6502a

The Asus WL-138G Mk 2 PCI card worked flawlessly in my MDD. Exactly like an Airport card.

6. macrumors 68000

disconap

The D-Link DWL-122 usb adapter will work with any PPC mac and it's usually pretty cheap (like $10-20 used). :)

7. macrumors regular

Thanks for confirming this, I had seen it mentioned working for hackintoshes but if it should work for them it should work for a PPC as well

8. macrumors regular

I can confirm the Asus works just fine in a DP500 G4 Gigabit Ethernet model running 10.5.6. Card is recognized as a third party adapter in System Profiler

Get a beefier antenna than the droopy 2 db antenna it comes with though

9. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The original airport cards have come down in price. Where do you see them still selling for $60-$100??? They can be had for $30 now a days. But getting any of the other options can get you a G speed card as the original AP was only 802.11b.