Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XM.Saint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
So I was playing a game the other day and all of the sudden the screen just died. At first I assumed it was the monitor, but the power light comes on fine when I start it up again. After doing a bit of reading, I think it is the GPU that died.

I don't currently have another monitor to test it out on, but the computer itself boots up fine, the monitor just doesn't display anything. I have disconnected and reconnected all the cables and everything but it still doesn't work.

I don't honestly feel like lugging this thing to a shop so they can tell me something I already know or could find out for free.

Is it likely the GPU? Where would I get a replacement, and for how much?

I searched on OWC and they had no video cards listed for this generation of computer, and I'm honestly not even sure what kind of card was in it before.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Try to locate you model:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

I think, if you have the PCI-X version, than it needs an AGP Pro 8x cards . Anyway, all these PowerMacs G5 used AGP Pro 8x cards. The best you can get is a GeForce 6800GT (but it's rare now) or a Radeon X800XT for Mac. Some PC cards can be flashed with Mac firmware. But there's no guarantee.

Maybe the smartest thing you can do is first check if really the videocard the problem is (maybe you LCD died) or any other component, after that, I would check on eBay what AGP cards are selling right now for Mac.

Lucibelle

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Are you using a DVI to LVD adapter? I had one die on me on my first Mac, and it was about the same experience. If it's still giving the same problem, then replace the video card. Still, if you can just borrow a friend's monitor to try it out, I'd recommend it. It would suck to hunt down a video card only to find it was the monitor all along. The power light can still work on a bad monitor.

You can also check with lowendmac for info about your Mac and compatible upgrades. (I need to charge lowendmac by the post! :D)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
To point out a slightly obvious additional piece of advice, perhaps you could try the monitor on another computer as well or instead of trying a different monitor on your computer. If the monitor works on another machine then you'll know it's something to do with your computer, not the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.