Power Mac G5 as web server

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by csolis, Feb 9, 2005.

1. csolis macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2004
    I am thinking on setting up a power mac G5 witg 2 processors as a web server. Tech support from the retailer is discouraging me of doing that, he claims that the power mac is not design for this kind of work and that I can expect heating problems due to the 24 hours a day workload. Is this true? Can you share your experiences with this kind of setup?

Thanks for your help
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    The only thing I can point to is the original Virgina Tech G5 Cluster which was with PowerMac G5s.

Just based on what they did, I'd say that the PowerMac G5 is very capable of handling being a server.

Also, if you go to ordeer a PowerMac G5 from Apple, one of the options on the CTO page is Mac OS X server. That sure makes it sound like a server capabale platform to me.

Just keep check every so often to make sure the system isn't overheating. You may just need to make sure it's in a well ventilated area.

Is your retailler trying to sell you something else as a server? Or are they just incompetent?
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    What kind of site are you going to want to run on this? Heavy PHP/MySQL stuff with high levels of traffic? Honestly, a dual G5 sounds like over kill to me.
  4. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    Tech support told you something... and you believed it?!

Seriously though, PowerMacs are fine for this sort of task. You should not encounter any overheating, barring a mechanical failure of some sort.
  5. relimw macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    Hey, something we agree on :)
    A G5 is a waste of good processing power unless you're going to run something like macosrumors off of it. If you want to waste the G5, please send it to me, and I'll give you my dual 500 :D
  6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, those techies are full of crap. Our webserver here at work is a dual 1.8 with 2GB RAM. It handles everything with flying colors.
  7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
  8. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    As long as it is in a cool place. VT had air conditioning 24/7 at high to keep those babies cool. As long as where you are storing it has some type of air conditioning, it should be fine. Also think about how much space it will take up and if you want the Error correcting RAM that only comes with the Xserve. It also depends on the site. You could use a Mac mini if you are going to experience a light load, and you don't even need to spring for OS X server if you are just going to be using HTML. But a dual 2Ghz would be fine for heavy PHP/MySQL.

Either way, RAM is important. At least a gig either way is the lowest you should go when it comes to RAM.
  9. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    I run a PHP/MySQL phpbb board on my 1.4 GHz Athlon with 512 MB. It's fine, I believe it more depends on the amount of traffic on your site than anything. If only a handful of people are visiting your site than the Apache and MySQL don't have to do a whole lot. My site is very low-traffic and it is fine, I'm thinking about moving it to my Mac mini when it arrives.
  10. csolis thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2004
    That is exactly the point, they insist in the use of the Xserve.

I will use a Perl/postgresql aplication that is very "text intensive", that is why the need for more processing power.

Thank you all for your advice, I will get the power mac for this application.