Power Mac G5 DP 2.0 RAM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spyderracer393, Feb 4, 2007.

1. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

Hi, I have the Power Mac G5 Dual Processor 2.0 GHZ, with 3 GB of RAM, but I would like to upgrade but this model only has four slot, not 8. On the logic board, I can see little holes where the other 4 slots are meant to be, but obviouslly they aren't there. Is there any way to upgrade this G5 so it has 8 slots, rather than 4? I haven't found anything about this on the Apple Discussions, or MacRumors.

Thanks,
    -Brad

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You can't add slots. However each slot will take up to 2Gb RAM (remember, matched pairs) for a total of 8Gb.

You have an early G5, which didn't have the capability to go to 16Gb.

According to this page, you can take 8Gb RAM in your G5... However, it doesn't mention a spec with 4 slots.

Can you provide a picture?

3. spyderracer393 thread starter macrumors regular

What a bummer...this actually isn't one of the earlier ones, I got it in October of 2005, when it was the bottom model, where as earlier, when it was top of the line, it did have 8 slots. I can't understand why Apple would remove slots when the original had them...I am kinda bummed because only a few months after getting the G5, the dual core models came out, and they had PCIe and fixed some problems—oh well, if you always wait for "the next," you'll be waiting forever.

thanks

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

That's odd, because we got one for my uni TV station in November 2005, a DC 2.0, and it's got the eight slots. Bizzare.

Well, how's your RAM installed? You may, if you've taken the 4 slots already, throw some out, but you can eBay them and get a decent price back. Then you can head off to any of the multitude of stores online and get a decent deal on a shedload of memory :)

5. spyderracer393 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thats what I'm saying, just a month later they came out with the Dual Core...

I didn't realize that 2 GB sticks work with this model...I have never seen 2GB sticks of PC3200 RAM in stores. I guess I will have to check that out, thanks.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Crucial is a great resource- even if you're not going to buy from them use their tool to see what's compatible with the machine.

7. spyderracer393 thread starter macrumors regular

ahh what a bummer, just checked crucial, and it says my model shouldn't excede 1GB/slot. But in the future when 2GB sticks come out, I can certainly give that a shot...

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, this machine is never ever going to recognize 2 Gb DDR PC3200 modules. Its memory controller cannot handle it. Your limit is 4 Gb with 4 x 1 Gb modules (2 pairs of 2x1Gb).

Although there are a very few 2 Gb PC3200 modules made, they are ECC modules for servers. The Mac does not support registered, ECC or Stacked memory modules.