Power Mac G5 - Hard Drive Mounting Rail Screws?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NATO, Oct 4, 2005.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've recently purchased a Power Mac G5 (which I'm absolutely over the moon with), and I'd like to install a second hard drive.

From reading the manual, it seems that some hard drive mounting screws are required in order for the drive to slide along the mounting rails, but because these screws don't look like your typical PC Hard drive screws, I was wondering if they are supplied with the Power Mac or whether I have to contact apple to get some.

If anyone here has installed a second hard drive into their Power Mac G5, could you tell me how/where you got the mounting screws, and was it an easy job to do?

2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

They should be in the case, screwed in to the wall near the bracket...

3. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

I was hoping to hear that, I thought it would be kinda silly for Apple NOT to include them, but I had no idea where to look. I'll check later tonight and hopefully I'll get the drive installed without any hassle. Thanks :)

4. revisionA macrumors 6502

5. Eastend macrumors 6502

I've got to go along with that, it's true. the plugs are a little hard to find, just underneath where the drive slides in, you can pry them out with your fingers. Putting in an extra hard drive has to be the easiest thing inside the G5 to do. I've put in memory and one card, but the hard disk was twice as easy as any of them.

Brian

6. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I concur. It makes upgrading a PC hard drive look like rocket science (which it is sometimes).

7. davebl macrumors member

the g5's layout was definately done with the user in mine... the HD upgrade is a snap, and even removing the optical drive is insanely easy. remember the days of the sawtooth..............

8. gogosama, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

It was by far the simplest machine I have ever upgraded for ram and Hard drive and I have built my own. It is just so simple that you wonder what they pay the apple techs for ;)

10. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

Well I had a peek inside the Power Mac when I got home last night, and the four screws are there, so all I need is for the hard drive to arrive! I installed RAM into the system (did take a LOT of force to get the modules properly seated, but at least the RAM slots are easily accessible!), so the Hard drive seems fairly straight forward.

The joke is though, the purpose of this thread was to find out if mounting screws were provided and if so where they were located and it took less than 10 minutes to get an answer. I called Applecare the night before and I was talking to an Indian guy to ask the same question and it took about 25 minutes talking/holding for him to find out only to be told that I would need to speak to an Authorised Apple Service Provider in order to ask their advice on how to install the hard drive! I explained that I was technically savvy, all I needed to know is if screws are provided and he kept referring me back to the AASP!! I was so frustrated, I don't know why I didn't just post here first!