Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I ordered this a couple months ago and I wanted to start working on it but I have some questions, here is a picture where I labeled some of the stuff I know and put some question marks next to the stuff I don't.

PowerMacG5LogicBoard-1.jpg

Sorry for the quality, MS Paint is the only Image editing program I have at the moment...
Which is why I am desperate to finish this!

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
question mark above the ram is for the airport extreme card to plug into. IE 802.11g.

the one next to the airport slot is where the front fans plug into so that the processors can have direct cool air intake.

the other is where the antenna plugs into the airport card so you can have wireless on that board. the other wire is the bluetooth antenna

as for the PSU plugs, they both are. the PSU has 3 wires that come out. 2 to plug into the board, and the third plugs into a hard drive power cable that tucks in behind the logicboard.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
question mark above the ram is for the airport extreme card to plug into. IE 802.11g.

the one next to the airport slot is where the front fans plug into so that the processors can have direct cool air intake.

the other is where the antenna plugs into the airport card so you can have wireless on that board. the other wire is the bluetooth antenna

as for the PSU plugs, they both are. the PSU has 3 wires that come out. 2 to plug into the board, and the third plugs into a hard drive power cable that tucks in behind the logicboard.

Okay, thanks a lot! I have another question, other than the Processor, PSU, and case, (Of course I don't technically need the case for this) Do I need anything else to see if it turns on? Not to the OS, just to see if I have a working board.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
the case is one thing, but you will need the power on board. it attaches to the logicboard via a small cable. you will need ram, a cpu and the psu.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
the case is one thing, but you will need the power on board. it attaches to the logicboard via a small cable. you will need ram, a cpu and the psu.

Okay, I already have 512 Megabytes of RAM, but I plan on up-ing it to 2GB, and I already have a 1.8GHz processor that I plan on buying probably later this week. and I have to wait a while because the Case+PSU goes for about $60 on ebay. Could you suggest a place to get parts for a G5 cheap?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
ok, the ram has to be installed in pairs. IE 128 & 128, 256 & 256, 512 & 512 and 1 GB & 1 GB. your G5 is like this...

1 - ********
2 - ********
3 - ======
4 - ======

5 - ======
6 - ======
7 - ********
8 - ********

=== is usable ram slots

so ram would go in pairs like slots 4 & 5, 3 & 6.
slots 1, 2, 7 and 8 are not soldered on your logicboard.
Max of 4 GB of DDR 400 memory. anything slower and the G5 won't turn on.

As for a place to get cheap G5 parts, aka the case parts and internals, either ebay or your local online ads like kijiji or craigslist.

other parts like ram, HD and cd/dvd, any place you get local pc parts.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
ok, the ram has to be installed in pairs. IE 128 & 128, 256 & 256, 512 & 512 and 1 GB & 1 GB. your G5 is like this...

1 - ********
2 - ********
3 - ======
4 - ======

5 - ======
6 - ======
7 - ********
8 - ********

=== is usable ram slots

so ram would go in pairs like slots 4 & 5, 3 & 6.
slots 1, 2, 7 and 8 are not soldered on your logicboard.
Max of 4 GB of DDR 400 memory. anything slower and the G5 won't turn on.

As for a place to get cheap G5 parts, aka the case parts and internals, either ebay or your local online ads like kijiji or craigslist.

other parts like ram, HD and cd/dvd, any place you get local pc parts.

Could I have no internal HDDs and only use an External HDD until I can get an Internal HDD?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
well since the G5's have no eSATA, and booting from USB is a no-go, i would say internal, or try booting from an IEEE1394 compliant device, aka firewire. Other than that, nope.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
You'll also need metal dividers for the logic board, so the fan can slide into place.

What parts are you missing for that board, or do you only have the board. If that's the case, I'd advise you to not purchase a single thing for to complete the computer. The G5s are not all that expensive, and parts costs will exceed the cost of buying an assembled one.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I have the logic board and this metal plate that screws into the Board in three places, I Cannot afford a G5 even though it's only 200ish, that is why I am building one piece by piece. I plan on buying a broken one for maybe 50-90 dollars and taking the things like the metal dividers, case, and fans and other parts if they work.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have everything that you need. Do you know if this board works or not? You can run this one one CPU if you don't have two as long as it's in the upper slot.

There are a few sensors that you need too and all the system fans if you want to get it running.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I have the logic board and this metal plate that screws into the Board in three places, I Cannot afford a G5 even though it's only 200ish, that is why I am building one piece by piece. I plan on buying a broken one for maybe 50-90 dollars and taking the things like the metal dividers, case, and fans and other parts if they work.

I picked up a 2.7GHz Dual (complete, minus video card) for just $50 and change from a local liquidator. Of course, the 2.7ghz models have a liquid cooling issue, so be prepared for a big cleanup & rebuild job if you're going to buy one of those. Some have had luck with apple replacing the entire machine with a mac pro, but that's if you don't mind (I did) lugging a G5 through a crowded mall;)

If you want to send me the text on your sticker (by the RAM slots), I'll find what CPU that you need.

Be prepared to spend WELL over $200 if you're going to take on a rebuilding project. The CPUs alone are pretty expensive, and you might have to stick the boards in a cardboard box to make budget ;)

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I picked up a 2.7GHz Dual (complete, minus video card) for just $50 and change from a local liquidator. Of course, the 2.7ghz models have a liquid cooling issue, so be prepared for a big cleanup & rebuild job if you're going to buy one of those. Some have had luck with apple replacing the entire machine with a mac pro, but that's if you don't mind (I did) lugging a G5 through a crowded mall;)

If you want to send me the text on your sticker (by the RAM slots), I'll find what CPU that you need.

Be prepared to spend WELL over $200 if you're going to take on a rebuilding project. The CPUs alone are pretty expensive, and you might have to stick the boards in a cardboard box to make budget ;)

Okay, I'll get home around 3ish so I'll try and get you that info then, it's 9:28 AM where I am now

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
J54180QDQRLB* 630-6291

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the help guys ;D

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
UPDATE: Okay, the processor (1.8Ghz) Is coming today or tomorrow, and it turns out I had a PSU that is perfect for the board. I still have 512 RAM but that is the least of my worries right now.

With those three things, is it okay to try a boot test, just to see if the board works?

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, I picked up a Graphics card, so now on to the case. After that I'll get the fans and sensors etc. This is a project I don't mind putting time in.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Wish you all the luck on your project, the amount of knowledge that you will gain will surpass the amount of investment in terms of time and money.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Wish you all the luck on your project, the amount of knowledge that you will gain will surpass the amount of investment in terms of time and money.

Thanks! I really hope it works in the end, this is gonna be my new main computer :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.