Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAdvisorUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
UK
I've been lead to believe I have a faulty power switch on my G5's front I/O.

Does any one know if I'm able to bypass this by shorting out two pins somewhere on the motherboard? Or if it's a case of having to shell out on buying a new front panel connector?

Cheers

Energybutton

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
I've been lead to believe I have a faulty power switch on my G5's front I/O.

Does any one know if I'm able to bypass this by shorting out two pins somewhere on the motherboard? Or if it's a case of having to shell out on buying a new front panel connector?

Cheers

I had a similar problem with one of my previous G5 systems and it actually turned out to be the cable connecting the I/O panel to the logic board. Do you have access to an Apple display with an ADC connection? (assuming you have an pre late 2005 model) The power button on these displays also power on the computer connected, this is how I bypassed my faulty cable till I was able to source a new one.

iAdvisorUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
UK
I don't have access to a Cinema Display however I have already tested the short cable between the logic board and the front panel connector with a multimeter and everything was fine :/

Thanks anyway

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
It could be burnt front panel board. It happens to G5s sometimes. Easy to replace but you'd need to remove logic board to access this part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.