Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lithium91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I've got a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0ghz though I'm having some problems with one of the processors. It seems that about 85% of the times I boot the computer Hardware Monitor and About this Mac only shows one processor. There's still a few occasions that when I turn it on both processors are running and operational but most of the time only one is detected. Is this a sign of a bad processor or bad motherboard? Or is it a hardware problem? I've tried reseating the processor about 4 or 5 times now without any difference. The second processor just seems to kick on whenever it feels like it, really.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lithium91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Dang, that's what I was afraid of. I'll try the re-install that I planned on doing today and if that fails at least I know what the problem is then.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The procs may just need to be reseated. I rebuilt a G5 that was reported to be not booting and completely tore it down, rebuilt it and reseated the processors and good as new.

Is it a LCS (Liquid Cooled/Cooling System) G5 model? If so, sometimes that can leak and cause all sorts of chaos, too unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.