Power Mac G5: Remove Plastic Strips From Door

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phichang, Sep 27, 2004.

1. phichang macrumors newbie

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

trust me...it will be fine if you can't find your tape strips...

3. phichang thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i did... on my single 1.8 back when they were still available. Don't worry about them, They had no purpose and they won't hurt anything.

5. phichang thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you remove it ? There is no instruction in the manual except in the web site. How do you know this matter?

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

well if you don't have yours(the tape) then you at least know that someone else did a step for you!

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I removed my tape without reading, you people are pretty weak computer users if you don't even know what parts are disposable.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Removing the plastic? Are you serious? Why would I wanna do that? When I gave the Dual G4 1.25G away, the plastic that protects the MMDs are still attached. Nothing comes off, nothing.

9. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Do remove the plastic strips ASAP. I have heard that this is a good idea to ensure that the computer operates correctly.

10. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, but we are not talking about a G4 MMD. We are talking about plastic that is INSIDE the computer.

All I can say is that if Apple states "be sure to do" something (see the knowlege base article) you can bet that I will do it.

11. sgarringer macrumors regular

if it really mattered, it would be printed, in red, with an ! preceding it, and stuck on the computer.

if it doesnt matter, they'll print it on their website.

where did you find it?

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

people... is this a joke? You're worrying about little strips of tape on the inside of the case? Trust me... it doesn't matter one way or the other.

13. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

You are both right and wrong.

I think it does matter, but it is not very important, otherwise of course they would make the notification more obvious, and probably affixed to the computer.

However, it IS in the user's guide that comes with the computer; it mentions to "remove any protective film from the inside of the side panel," one step before plugging in the computer (pg. 6).

Therefore I think any reasonable person who just spent a large sum of money on a brand new Apple computer would follow Apple's instructions to the last detail. The fact that it is in the manual, coupled with the wording on the Web site "When you set up your Power Mac G5 computer for the first time, be sure to remove the four protective plastic strips on the inside of the door" makes it clear to my mind that this is something that should be done. On the other hand, I am sure that many people overlook this and that it is no big deal; however, I would advise them to do this ASAP.

What more can I say than: RTFM!