Power Mac G5 styled case for Mac mini

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 4, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'll give an "insanely stupid, but I think I want one"

3. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Wow, that is so utterly cool.
    They have one on the site that can house two mac minis. It'd be nice if there was a way to cluster their computing power for every day apps.

I'd have a 10-stack tower fabbed and stick it under my desk to help with FCP renders.

Sweet idea. I really want to fab a mac mini case now.

4. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

OS X Server on one + Firewire? I seem to recall a guy making a cluster recently that was obscenely powerful given the cost.

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

The little TINY case shown in the picture is pretty cool :) Useless but cool :)

The larger ones I'm not so sure about.

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

I thought Cube at first, but the slot's in the wrong place. It would fit a Mini with air underneath, but a Cube's drive is centered on top.

8. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I was thinking about the slot in the cube one too. The cube can't be tilted in there can it? Where are the ports on the cube?

Mini case is cool. Just adds to the cost of the computer though. Is running the mini sideways any good for it? Especially the slot drive?

9. macrumors 68020

ham_man

Insanely stupid, yet very tempting to purchase...if I had a Mac Mini, of course... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

AFAIK a Cube can run tipped forward: the cables come out the bottom or back. But the optical slot is centered, so I don't see it ever lining up with that case. I think that case must be some other Mini product. Or maybe they sell an external optical that sits on top of the Cube? Or you extract the Cube's own drive and mount it there?

11. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

ummm, the optical drive is along the front edge of the top, not in the middle of the top, thus if it were tipped forward, then rotated 180 degrees, the optical drive would be at the top of the front as pictured on those cases.

Attached Files:

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, the big one is for the Cube. Yes, it'll fit fine. See this page for further pics (and where they specifically mention "Cube"). I have a Cube and figure it will fit fine. The optical drive slot is not perfectly centered across the entire top of the Cube; it actually sits nearer one of the edges, opposite the power button.

13. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's got nothin' on my new mini case.

[​IMG]

Nah, but am I the only one who actually prefers the consumer Mac look over the Pro line? I think Apple's just slightly overdone the aluminium thing with the Power Mac. :(

If there was a case that made it look like an iBook...

14. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you think the G5 would look right at home behind the meat counter at a supermarket, you're not alone.

15. macrumors 68040

shamino

Really? I thought it would quickly overheat if run sideways. Something about the fanless convection-cooling design.

Although I suppose you could install a fan to get around this.

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

That answers that! "Mystery" solved. I must have had the toaster metaphor stuck in my brain :) Thanks for the correction.

17. macrumors 65816

joecool85

I like that look.

18. macrumors 68040

shamino

There's a photoshop idea for anyone who has the time to kill. A combination Macintosh/meat slicer. So you can serve your customers, perform inventory control and download $0.99 songs all at the same time.

19. macrumors G5

nagromme

I like the look of the G5s too. Simple and sleek and minimalist, very Apple--but industrial.

I do not like the size :)

20. Guest

iGary

That is EXACTLY what is hinding under my desk...to the T.