Power Mac G5...to get or not to get?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mac_Maniac, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Mac_Maniac macrumors newbie

Hi folks.

I currently have a PC that has:

AMD64 3800+
    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe Nforce 3 mobo
    1GB PC3200 RAM
    100GB HDD
    Geforce FX 5700 256mb video card

I have really considerd getting a mac G5 for some time now. My uncle just got one, looks nice. I want to do somthing with computers as a career. I want to offer a business to people and have clients. I really want to get into something that has to do with 3D. I want to do 3D Animation, video editing, web design, music, stuff like that. I hear Mac's are for creative people. So I want a:

MAC G5
    Dual 2.0ghz
    1GB DDR PC3200 RAM
    16X super drive
    OS X Tiger
    Radeon 9650 256mb video card
    160GB HDD space
    Bluetooth

Somthing amongst that. It has alot of power. I would use a KVM. It would switch my mouse, monitors, keyboard, and audio, between my pc, and the mac. Plus I could have them networked to store files and share a printer. I love computer games. But I would use my PC for that. There are some good games for the mac as well don't get me wrong. I think Mac's are sexy and creative. I really want one. Should I get one?

-Ross

2. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

(there's no apostrophe unless there is a possessive or if there is a contraction)

Definitely get a Power Mac G5...they are totally brilliant machines!

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I'll second the notion- buy a PowerMac G5.

4. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Yeah get the G5, just don't use the "free shipping".

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

MacTruck, we get your point! Get the Mac, get it!

6. Tilmitt macrumors member

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Don't give him blind advice here... specifically don't get the Dual 2.0ghz. It is a crippled motherboard. It only has 4 RAM slots (instead of 8) and it has no PCI-X slots. If you find yourself doing alot of 3D, it is much better to have 8 slots. Even though you might not need 8GB of RAM, its half the price to get 4GB in 512MB sticks than in 1GB sticks. Also, PCI-X is very important for adding external/internal SATA storage, which you will need if you seriously get into video editing (HD footage basically requires a fast RAID setup).
    Don't waste your money on the 9650. It actually benchmarks slower than the 9600 because it is clocked slower (the extra VRAM doesn't help at all, either). You might want to consider paying extra for a nice graphics card for 3D work. Take a look at these benchmarks comparing performance of the graphics cards. http://barefeats.com/rad9650.html Note: the pro app benchmarks are at the bottom, but 3D rendering is very similar to 3D gaming, also. Also note the "iMaginator" benchmark. That illustrates the difference those graphics cards will have in OS X's Core Image technology that draws the entire screen (even 2D), something Windows doesn't have.

8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

if you have the cash to spare i'd go for it. i know if i had a couple grand lieing around i would

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I agree - go for the 2.3 or even better, you can get one of the older 2.5's like I have. There are some sweet deals on the older models. The radeon 9600 is actually a better card than the 9650. Have a look at
    this reseller. They have 2.5's for sale for $2268 US - cash.

aussie_geek

[​IMG]