Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update 5.1.5f2 posted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keysersoze, Sep 28, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    MacMinute reports:

Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update 5.1.5f2 posted
    September 28 - 04:47 EDT** Apple has posted a new firmware update for "Uniprocessor" Power Mac G5s to resolve some potential issues with the previous release (v5.1.5f1). Apple notes: "After applying the Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update 5.1.5f1 to some 1.6 GHz computers, unexpected issues might occur. But you can install Firmware Update 5.1.5f2 to fix them. What unexpected issues? It could be a kernel panic, the loss of USB function with some keyboards or mouse tracking devices, Bluetooth USB modules that don't respond five minutes after starting up, or interrupted audio playback in iTunes. Disconnecting and reconnecting devices does not help. Removing some or all non-Apple memory (RAM) usually stops the issue."

Glad to see this is out.... anyone install it yet? :confused:

EDIT: The Apple site says "Important: Before updating, shut down the computer, then temporarily remove any non-Apple memory (RAM).
    Once you have successfully applied the Firmware Update, you can install the memory again."

I don't have any Apple RAM... so what am I supposed to do? Yank my Crucial RAM and boot without any in the machine and apply the Firmware Update? Will this work? Not sure about this procedure. :rolleyes:
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Uhh...why would Apple require that only Apple RAM be present when the update is installed? Secondly, the computer won't boot without RAM, so...I don't know what to do. I'd ask on Apple's discussion boards as well as looking for help here.