Power Mac G5s in danger, in 2-3 years...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Frohickey, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Not sure how this is exactly political...

Moving to Community Discussion.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Power Mac G5s in danger, in 2-3 years...

So they build more power plants, seriously the lack of money will fade soon, when somehow we get $$ back.

I'm sure people will find out that they can't leave their comps on forever during the hottest summer days.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I doubt the PowerMac G5s cause enough of an impact.

Let's say that a hypothetical G5 PowerMac uses 400 watts of power. That's only a few extra watts added to the last PowerMac G4 models. Not to mention that there are also computer uses with 500 to 800 watt PC gaming systems (including an advanced sound system and a heavy subwoofer). Even the G5 is average in watt usage in comparison to regular household utilities. Also, you would only use all that power in warm environments and with processor-heavy activities.

Your oven uses watts, as well.
    Your washer and drier sometimes use over 1000 watts.
    Your microwave uses 1200 watts.
    A boxed room heater can use 1800 watts.

The list goes on.

Edit: Ahh, MrMacman, nice to know that you posted at the same time I did. :p

5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

King Cobra:

I've got a UPS with load indicator LCD's, and it tells me that my dual 800 G4, my dual Xeon 700, and my 23" LCD combined use about 325W. That's running folding@home on all processors, and with each machine containing two spinning 10k RPM SCSI disks. Based on this I'd say 400W is a very safe estimate for G5 power use.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ha, I did that on purpose, I kinda have a spy camara behind you in the wall, sorry about that. ;)

Ah ha there we go, see it doesn't use that much power, just better stop microwaving stuff. :p

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

ddtlm, I do not see how that is possible. According to the program that I have, Mactracker, your model PowerMac uses 338 watts of power. (See attachment.)

To say that your system, which includes that PowerMac, your PC, and your LCDs, uses 325 watts is a very low number.

But perhaps the PowerMac model below uses no more than 338 watts either. :)

Attached Files:

• hi2.jpg
      hi2.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sucks for california, that would suck to have to shut down your mac everytime, but i doubt the powermacs will the core of this problem.

iJon

9. pEZ macrumors 6502

Computer power is nothing compared to some other appliances. Sorry, that's ridiculous that power consumption would be blamed on any computer, Mac or otherwise.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Appliances that generate heat will generally use more power. Computer use a relatively low amount of power.

Does one know how to figure out how much power your computer is using on windows xp?

scem0

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Technically there is no app that tells you how much power you are using, well because software can't judge electricity.

You can build a power meter for cheap tho...

If you DON'T I would suggest the manufacture and give them a call, if you built your own, well your screwed (take choice that is above).

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

maybe you should just boot out all the ten million dollar houses where everything is moveable. that might help.

13. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I live in CA and I leave my machines running all the time. They don't use much electricity, as one is a laptop and the other is an iMac. I shut off the PC because it was creating a lot of heat, which would thereby raise our power consumption further because off all the stress on the AC that would be required to cool it.

14. ddtlm macrumors 65816

King Cobra:

338W is very close to the rating printed on the power supply, so it probably represents the max power that it could use under any circumstances before the power supply overheats/dies. I'm pretty sure my UPS is providing a figure close to reality.

15. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

Stinks to live in California. Atleast as far as the power thing goes. Everything else is great. Well I hope this doesnt happen in
    Texas. That would stink even more. Being as I live in that state.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wait, so how is King Cobra's app telling him how many Watts he is using?

It's not measuring the watts, just saying what has been measured from other systems with the same specs?

scem0

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Maybe Mac owners should consider solar cells. It would be a great geek idea. Something to help the pocket book and the envionment. We need to try to use more alternative sources of power generation.

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

.....and Pacific Northwesterners were outraged when Steve Jobs announced all macs were to turn solar powered...... ;)

19. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Everything else is not great in California, FYI, I didn't spend my entire trust fund getting out of there for nothing. And we get sun in the pacific northwest, tazo, it just has to shine through the clouds.

It was raining like cats and dogs this morning. You know what's worse than it raining cats and dogs at 5:30 in the morning? It being 90° and chokingly humid as soon as you step out of your door at 5:30 in the morning. But I digress.

Remember, everyone, that the G5 has independant low-speed fans. Should be fairly power-efficient. I think people could turn off their boob-tubes in California and get on the internet instead (he says while watching TV and typing at the same time).

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm suprised to hear that comment. My impression of that area of the country is that it is for enviromental issues!

21. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I think tazo was referring to our sunlight deficient environment. Which I love....something I cannot stress enough, anyone who would complain about the overcast nature of this beautiful place should try living somewhere where the natural tendancy is for everything to die because it is so sunny.

Funny thing about places where it rains all the time -- when the sun comes out it is stunningly beautiful, and everything is alive. But I digress. We will have wind power, thank you.

22. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

As a Seattle resident of now 13 years, I was making a joke about some of our overcast days :p I think Washington is the most beautiful state, all this greenery and all. I have been to california and LA especially, its like everything is a facade. Even the trees have been imported! :p
    Not to mention its hard to breath with all that humidity and smog etc.

I know we get sun in the Pacific NW. I think that if we had more sun, like another month of better weather, Washington State would the best place in the world to live. Seriously.

23. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Ah, well as a resident I guess I don't have to give you too much s***. You know, I can hardly even stand sunny days anymore. It's kind of a matter of too much exposure. I like the sun in little patches here and there of three days at best. For me, every day it rains is a reminder of why I moved here. I think if you move to Oregon you will get more sun. And you won't pay state sales tax. Portland is real pretty, but doesn't have anything on Seattle....ramble, ramble....

Oh, so off-topic.........