Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Hey,

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Power Mac G3 B&W for a very low price. It's been upgraded to a G4 processor and has 512MB or RAM, which isn't too shoddy, given that I paid under £50 for it. Now, I may just relegate it to being a server, but I was wondering about possibly actually using it as a PC. Now, this is my first Mac foray at all, so I'm a little lost as to whether upgrades aside from RAM and processor are actually possible. I looked online but I couldn't find much information on the subject.

Is it possible for me to get a storebought card and stick it in there? Or, do I need to get some sort of special Apple Mac card instead? Obviously it'd need to be PCI, but that's not too bad given I'm not going to be gaming on this thing; I'd just like a little more graphical power.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What's wrong with the video card that's already in it? (If there is one in there.) You're only running a server.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Well, the ATI Rage 128 isn't a particularly good card at all. It'll do for basic stuff, but I'd like to keep my options open. Plus, DVI-D would be nice. As I said, I probably will just use the machine for a server, but if it's possible to upgrade then I may change my mind on that.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Is there any specific reason for DVI-D output? You're not going to get much of a gain on a PCI based Power Mac when you upgrade the video card.

The Radeon 7000 PCI for Mac would give you the best video options for the price. (D-Sub, DVI-D, and S-Video) Your best bet it so check eBay or the local Marketplace here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.