power mac or mac pro PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JRIPP, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JRIPP macrumors newbie

I am a music producer who is definitely moving to a mac based on my experience with my friend's g5 powermac 1.8 ghz. Im building a new studio and plan to use Cubase 4 (or maybe Logic Pro if its better on mac), Reason, and a bunch of Native Instrument Products. I've been researching on which mac I should get and these are my options

1)I can get a dual 1.8 ghz processor with a 2 gigs of Ram and two 500 gig hard drives for around $2,000 (or instead of the extra hard drive space I could get a few VST's)

2)Or I can get a intel mac pro with a gig of ram and a 2ghz processor and 250 gigs of Ram for around the same price.

I could go with option 1 with all the extra hard drive space or Vst's but I fear that new music programs may not support the powermac in a year or two. Do u think they would actually just stop making apps for it?

Im leaning towards the intel mac pro but I know I will be fustrated as all the programs I want or currently use have not made a U B update as of yet. I would just really apprieciate some advice to sway my final decision. Im tired of debating Im just ready to make some music and put my unstable PC to sleep.

2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Think of it this way, you can always expand the amount of RAM and the Hard drive, but it would sure be hard to replace the processor. So I say go Mac Pro for the upgradability.

3. JRIPP thread starter macrumors newbie

once I actually type down my options it seems that its a no brainer!!! Mac Pro all the way Thanks for the help

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just note that a Mac Pro with 1 gig of RAM performs 2-3 times slower than if it had 3+ GBs. But you can always add RAM later. Plus, you can have four CPU cores, instead of two, each of them are faster than 1.8 Ghz G5, i\m sure you'd appreciate it :)