Power Mac release date? want to guess ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by illustratorDavi, Jan 12, 2005.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm feeling really disappointed by MWSF.

I was waiting for a new Powermac G5 update or an small upgrade on the iMac G5. Like everyone was predicting

But NO we get a tiny / difficult to upgrade / mac for pc users Mac mini instead. :(

Can anyone guess when we will see update ?

My bet is the just after 22 Jan - the mac mini release

David
    (unhappy mac user)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dual 2.5 not snappy enough?

Prices have just been reduced across all PMs as well.

3. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah 2.5 is zappy enough. Its just this thing were you order a mac and then the next week something new has just come out and your mac has just gone down £300. -- Look macrumors buyers guide thinks so aswell

Also we are fortunate to have our prices come down last week in the UK -- i don't believe this has happened in the US so this is no indication of a new release date being put back. Their just correcting our higher prices outside the US.

Thanks for the response though

David

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

From what I read on this forum, I wasn't expecting an update to the iMac or Power Mac or PowerBook. With time I have learned not to have expectations during these presentations. That prevents your reaction.

As for updates with the iMac and Power Mac it looks more like an update around March, but prior to WWDC. The upgrade could also coincide with the release of Tiger. That will make for quite a release party.

5. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think a march release is likely. Unhappily I want one now :(

I'm just hoping for outside chance of something about 22 January - please

David

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Pessimistically - before Tiger. :(

Optimistically - next Tuesday. :D

7. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I honestly believe apple could have a serious problem on their hands update to pro hardware wise. If we ignore the well stated difficulties with the powerbook there is a very obvious issue with even the current powermac crop; and that in one word is supply.
    I'm also in the market for a new powermac but the current stated ship time for even a stock dual 2.5 is 1-2 weeks. This machine has been out for 6 months and supply has never been consistent, I simply cannot belive the machine is so popular that they are fully booked up with back orders. If we can assume that IBM do indeed have the fabled 3+GHz G5 made but are having more yield problems apple would be foolish to release or even announce anything. They would end up with a product range where the top two models were hardly ever available. Lets face it the majority of powermac users care about the processor performance, this is key to all high end applications. Bluetooth 2 and PCI express amongst many other innovations do very little than give bragging rights. One thing is clear until we get new processors we won't see any updates. The fact ATI have only just announced the AGP version of the X800 doesn't exactly inspire hope for wholesale product revisions. To the best of my knowledge AGP and PCI express technologies are not interchangeable so it would be foolish for a card maker to put time and effort into a new product only to have it made outdated by an apple update before even a single consumer bound AGP X800 has shipped.
    Some people have suggested the fact that recent price cuts in some parts of the world could be in preparation for new items but with some still having long waiting times I think we might have to be happy with what we have until Tiger time around April/May time. I just hope I'm wrong :(

8. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

sjpetry: Love the sammy by the the way. My Dad used to own and show them so I grew up with them. Lovely character and temperament :)

9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I agree completely I don't think we will see any PM upgrades for a good while. I would expect them to be closer to or at WWDC than MWSF (now). Also I don't think we are going to see iMac upgrades until the PM is upgraded. All of this is likely due to the chip situation at IBM we shouldn't still be seeing such delays on dual 2.5s (unless it is another 2.5 specific part like the liquid cooling radiator production that is holding up supply.

Although I have yet to (and will be in a short while) listening to the financial updates, they usually have something to say (albeit optimistically) about such things.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you really need a Power Mac now, then you should go ahead and purchase. With Apple you just can never predict for sure the next upgrade. There will also be the flurry of orders which could mean a one to two month wait again. You should have a couple of months of enjoyment with your new Mac. There is always something new around the corner.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the recent price cuts in some countries were only to adjust for the changes in currency exchange rates....the US $$ has fallen so sharply that the prices were way out of whack and needed to be brought back in line.....oh yeah!

12. Devie macrumors 6502a

Just had a look at the PM specs in me sig, vs the price of the same model in USA in AUD, we are still getting screwed by $1,000 AUD... (according to XE.com's trade)

13. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I think it was a given that the PowerMac was not going to be updated in January. The release of the Mac Mini was great! Probably won't see a PM update for quite a while, at least until June. If you continue to wait, it will be only another 6 to 12 months for another update after June. You'll be waiting forever if you don't just take the plunge. Updates are always around the corner. These Power Macs will have a shelf life of at least 4-6 years, so why the worry and all the waiting??? Just buy and enjoy.. :D

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Wow, I didn't know about that! But you're right, the low-end G5 has dropped by NZ$430, and I'm sure that the others will be cheaper too.

Edit: The 2 GHz has had the biggest drop, $720.

15. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

TranceClubMusic

PowerMac Prices have NOT been lowered. :rolleyes:

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes they have. But I suspect that you have a skewed perspective, judging by the fact that you claim to have a G6 with 16 GB memory and a 42" display :rolleyes:

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, no one was predicting that. I'm sure there will be updates anywhere from 6-9 months after the last update. Check the buyers guide, and watch for some more rumors ala the new PowerBooks that should be coming out sone.

Um, in places like England and Australia they have. The US dollar has dropped in value. This has been mentioned already.