Power Mac w/OS 8 to communicate w/ iBook G4 w/OS X

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by michael0brien, Jan 18, 2004.

1. michael0brien macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how and if I can get my old Power Mac 7200/120 with OS 8 to communicate with my new iBook G4 with OS X. Both machines have ethernet and I seem to be having trouble setting up the Appletalk or internal network. Any ideas? :confused:

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

What kind of problems are you having?

In OS X, make sure Appletalk is enabled under the network preferences (like in this screen shot) and that Appletalk is set to Ethernet under OS 8 (Control Panels > Appletalk.) Go to the chooser, click on AppleShare and you should see your iBook listed there.

If not, there might be a box that says specify IP address, you can click on that, then enter the IP address of your iBook and that should do it.

Hope this helps...

Attached Files:

3. michael0brien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. But this did not seem to work. I even entered the IP address and this did not work either. The reply from the older machine was something along the lines of the server not responding. It almost seems like the cable is not connected...and yes, I double checked, it is. Any other ideas?

4. lind0834 macrumors regular

When all else fails...

My last ditch resort everytime is FTP. Since OS X has a real easy FTP server setup, you can just use your FTP client in the older box to connect to the new iBook.

Since FTP is completely based on IPs I've found it's the simplest solution when Appletalk can get flaky.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Make sure you have your iBook Sharing preferences set up correctly and that you have the "Allow OS 9 Events" checked in Sharing in System Preferences.

Attached Files:

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Hmmm, are you connecting through a hub or directly connecting the 2 machines? You will need a crossover cable to directly connect them. A regular cable will not work.

7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I thought modern macs automatically modulated so that regular ethernet cables would function like cross-over cables. Anyway, if you are connecting the two computers directly to each other via ethernet, it is probably best to get a cross-over cable. :rolleyes:

8. michael0brien thread starter macrumors newbie

That is my understanding, about the modulation. And I am connecting them directly. If I was to go the FTP route how would I set up the machines? I downloaded 'FTP thingy'.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Billicus

The Cat-5 port on the Power[Mac/Book] units does, in fact autodetect the need for an uplink(crossover) connection, and switch to it as a result, thereby eliminating the need for a crossover cable(PITA to find/make) or hub. However, I am not so sure about the extent of the capabilities of any "i" series machines such as the iBook.

Anyone care to shed light on if the iBook can switch to uplink?

-Mike

As for connecting to the 7200 via the iBook. I just had a brainstorm. A simple way to get the 7200 a valid IP address is to configure its TCP/IP settings for DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol). This is done in Control Panel:TCP/IP.

Create a new configuration, or alter an exsisting one so that the port it uses is "Ethernet" and the configure(?) is set to DHCP.

Once done, turn the machine off.

Then go over to the iBook. Go to System Preferences:Sharing In there turn on Personal file sharing by clicking on the check box. Then hit the button "Internet".

Under "Share your connection from:" select "Airport" (just go with me on this. And int the "To Computers using:" check the box "Built-In Ethernet"

By doing this, you've turned your iBook into a DHCP server to machines plugged into the Ethernet port of your iBook. If you plug your 7200 into that port (hopefully without needing a crossover or hub) and start it up, the 7200 will grab an IP address from it, and you should be good to go with networking.

About that, once the 7200 is started up, make sure it's AppleTalk is active, and you have your HD shared (Can't grab files from a drive that doesn't know it is to be open to the world).

And try to connect - using AppleTalk from the iBook. From the Finder' go to the "Go" menu, and select "Network"

Does your 7200 appear?

If not, try to find the 7200's IP address (can't remember how) - but you can try guessing! :D

In the iBook, in the Finder, hit cmd-k. Enter the IP address of the 7200 - my guess is that it would be 192.168.2.2 (usually the first address that your iBook's Ethernet card will assign - it keeps 192.168.2.1 for itself). Enter the address like this (without the quotes, of course: "afp://192.168.2.2"

Note: You enter afp for connecting to an Apple machine using AppleTalk (afp stands for Apple File Protocol)

Let us know how this works. (I would say 'keep us posted' but that would be a bad pun wouldn't it? Doh! I said it!)

10. michael0brien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone it appears that there is an ethernet card problem with the old computer. I tried a crossover cable and still got an error message from the PM. I have saved all the info I need on floppies and will upload it if I ever need it.

Anybody want an 1996 Power Mac 7200/120? Cheap.